cannot connect to the internet

Thread: cannot connect to the internet

cannot connect to the internet

just installed suse 9.0 pro on my computer ( pt4. 1.8 GHz , win xp pro / suse 9.0 pro, dial-up modem). it's my first contact to linux and i'm not a tech.
    the installation process without any problems. first i tried to access the internet. i can hear the dial-up tone but it doesn't connect. during the configuration i was asked, in which of these about 8 countries i live in and what is the name of the isp. but i don't live in one of these countries. so i opened a new isp but in the usa because i had no choice of another one. but i don't think that this will cause this problem because i used the phone number of my isp here.
    can you help and don't forget i'm not a tech.

thanks a lot

hi,

does the modem hold a connection? i.e - once it has dialed, does the line remain engaged, or is the connection dropped as soon as dialing finished?

also, with suse (i use 8.2 pro), you should (in kde) see a little 'connection' symbol on the bottom-right of your screen (in the 'system tray'). i'm not sitting in front of my machine right now (at work..), but if i remember correctly, if you right-click on this, you should have the option of viewing a log, which might give some clues as to the problem..

post back and let us know some more info, and when i get home tonight i'll have a look on my machine to check my settings.

i found something in the log

pppd (0): sending:ATDT 029009600
    pppd (0):waiting for carrier
    pppd (0):NO CARRIER

029009600 is the phone number of the isp

i hope you can help

Double check the number, and dial it from a regular phone plugged into the handset port of the modem. If you get the crazy connection noise, you're ok. The modem should have worked. If you don't get the remote modem to answer, call isp and get different number.
    We all work for machines

yup, agree with Radar - if you're getting a 'no carrier' message it sounds like the number is wrong.

if you do find that the number is wrong, here's how to change it using Yast (at least, for SuSE 8.2 - some details may vary for 9.0) :

Open Yast / Yast2;
    In the left-hand menu, click 'network devices';
    Click 'modem' in the right-hand window pane;
    Already configured devices should be listed as 'ppp0' with provider....
    Click the 'Change' button;
    A list of modems and providers will be displayed;
    Under 'providers', click the one you want to change so that it's highlighted, then click 'Edit';
    A panel should appear allowing you to alter details for provider name, 'phone number, user name, password, etc - simply alter the details for the phone number and then click 'next' (you might want to review the other settings at this point just to make sure they're correct.

and that's it - you should be up and running.

hope this helps.

the phone number is ok. the modem dials, but if i connect through xp pro, it always takes a long time. i think that suse doesn't give enough timing. can i change this?

timeout too short - yes, you can change this, but i can't remember how... i'll have a look and come back..

Dialing rules

I had a problem with dialing. It would dial, disconnect, dial, disconnect. I ended up having to switch from kinternet to qinternet as my gui tool to connect. Weird as they look exactly alike. Also I found this on Suse's site:

http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/1999/0...odem_init.html

I know also, that I saw a timeout in a dropdown when I was setting my modem up, but I think it was for disconnecting after idle time. I could be mistaken. I am not in front of my machine at the moment.

You may want to double check any dialing rules applied. If you picked the US maybe it is using US dialing rules? I haven't looked into the rules yet, but I know in MS if you pick US it will apply certain rules for dialing unless you tell it not to. This may be off the target, but those are other things I'd check into. Epecially since it isn't recognizing the carrier.