What devices are SATA drives installed as?

Thread: What devices are SATA drives installed as?

What devices are SATA drives installed as?

Hi

I installed SuSE 9 this afternoon and ran an online update - lo and behold, for the first time EVER, SuSE 9 correctly detected my Nvidia card and started X after the install. I can now FINALLY use 9 without X intermittently crashing on me.

I've since installed kernel 2.6 for SuSE (kraxel) and then set the BIOS to run the SATA drives in native mode. On rebooting SuSE detected the new controllers etc and all seems well so I now need to mount the SATA partitions. My question is does anyone know what devices the SATA drives will be located under - I presume they're not in the HDx... list?

Thanks
    Last edited by mysticboer; 01-06-2004 at 06:20 PM.
    SuSE 9.1 Pro
    MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R
    ---
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

AFAIK S-ATA drives will be treated in the same way as P-ATA - so they should be in the normal /dev/hdX format.
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

mrBen is right about it being in the normal /dev/hdx format. My BIOS detects my SATS drive as the third master or forth master, I can't remember what one at the moment
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)

Under the 2.4 kernel my partitions all appear under the HDx construct, however, under 2.6 the SATA drives look like they're assigned to the SDx construct.
    SuSE 9.1 Pro
    MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R
    ---
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato