Dual boot Win 2000 and Win98

Thread: Dual boot Win 2000 and Win98

Dual boot Win 2000 and Win98

Alright I apologize for the windows question but I couldnt think of forum with more people that I trust!!

I am trying to multiboot win2000 and win98 on my brother inlaws computer. I multiboot WinXP and Linux on my machine but 2000 seems to be different.. I cant find a boot.ini file.. Does anyone know how to configure dual boot in Win2000 using ntldr?? It seems to auto recognize the two windows but win98 isnt booting correctly.. I think the drive letter got changed after installing win2000 (c->d)..

Let me know if you have any questions..

You need the boot drive (and therefore the boot.ini) on a FAT32 partition or else Win98 cannot read it, therefore not being able to load.

My suggestion, partition and install 98 on the root primary partition then 2000 in an extended logical partition.
    I haven't cried like this since I paid for Godfather III --Fat Tony

Currently breaking:
    Gentoo Stage 1 w/gentoo-dev-2.6.14-r2 kernel
    FreeBSD 6.0
    XP Pro, well thats already broken

Im idiot, seems 2000 has "hide operating system files"

yeah the file was there but the hide OS files option was checked.. Thanks anyway guys...

Windows 98 is one hard drive and windows 2000 is on a new Maxtor 40gb he just got..

Install Linux on WXP laptop?

I apologize for jumping into your conversation, but I have an interest in what you are talking about. I wanted to ask some experienced Linux folks what their advice would be on installing Linux on a laptop with WXP. Any advice out there? Thank you!

Re: Install Linux on WXP laptop?

Originally posted by jumpinjackflash
    I apologize for jumping into your conversation, but I have an interest in what you are talking about. I wanted to ask some experienced Linux folks what their advice would be on installing Linux on a laptop with WXP. Any advice out there? Thank you!
    there are many many MANY topics on the question of dula booting Linux and Windows... you can search these forums and find a whole bunch of information about it....
    one by one, the penguins steal my sanity...

Registered Linux User#: 340703

Originally posted by chrisP
    Windows 98 is one hard drive and windows 2000 is on a new Maxtor 40gb he just got..
    Well the idea is still the same, you need to have 2000 as the slave and the disk with 98 as the boot drive. When you install 2000 it will place its bootloader/files on the 98 drive, it should autoimatically detect and modify the boot.ini to load 98.
    I haven't cried like this since I paid for Godfather III --Fat Tony

Currently breaking:
    Gentoo Stage 1 w/gentoo-dev-2.6.14-r2 kernel
    FreeBSD 6.0
    XP Pro, well thats already broken

We don't do Windows...

Sorry... but this is a Linux forum. We go so far as to support other Unix-like OSes, but that's because they resemble Linux in some form or another.

You'd probably better off asking at a Windows forum, anyways. I'm sure Google would be able to help you out there.

Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

Re: Install Linux on WXP laptop?

Originally posted by jumpinjackflash
    As jrbishop79 already suggested, search the JL forums. Especially the Installation forum as dualboot is a popular topic and there have been a couple of post on the same question over the last few days.

Lots of tutorials/guides available elsewhere via a G4L ( www.google.com/linux ) search for 'dualboot windows'.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas