Still here? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still here?

Originally posted by carbon-12
    Alright lets see how good their forum is. I have just posted a question that no one here at JL has been able to awnser.
    Not to flame or rant, but having read your post, it doesn't surprise me in the least that your question hasn't been answered yet. The post is one of most definitive exampes of exactly how not to present a problem in a tech support forum that I've seen in some time.

You:

- Gave no information about your hardware whatsoever.

- Gave no details at all concerning at exactly what point during the installs the system freezes occured.

- Did not post any relevant errors/messages that you received nor indicate whether you did or did not even get any such messages.

- Did not describe the troubleshooting steps (if any) you had tried, except for the mention of toggling the failsafe option in the BIOS.

- Did not indicate why, after stating that the system had running fine for a year, you were in a situation where you had to install/reinstall all of the OSes you mentioned.

- Did not, after receiving a member's suggestions concerning boot options, indicate in your later post that you tried the suggestions and if so, the results you got.

Honestly- I am not flaming you here, but with the sparse description that you gave to go on, the only thing that anyone could immediately deduce is that you almost certainly have a hardware-related issue. Unfortunately, that's a pretty non-definitve point from which to start a troubleshoot.

Well.. been quite a while since I have posted here...

Why? Couple reasons..

1) I have found it a problem that when others like to post help for problems, they get either critisized or a flood of others stating that they don't have the same problem... Who cares if YOU don't have the problem - I DO, and thats why I was asking..

2) Too many people here still think Linux is for only those who want to be OS elitist pigs... I am dearly sorry if this offends you, but face it: Linux can be for anyone who wants to use it.. It is just a matter of how it is presented and packaged..

3) I find it funny how anyting Windows related it bashed and shunned off.. Yes, this is a linux forum and I understand most of you here have the "MS is evil" attitude.. But you all still fail to realise a couple items.. Windows still accounts for over 97% of the desktop OS market and is a centtral role in users new to linux. Another point of interest, so many Linux users have put Linux as such a high and mighty OS that they have narrowed their thinking - they forget that we can all still learn and inherrit many ideas and features from other companies and OS's. Linux is NOT perfect - No OS is.. You can either keep your head up your butt and ignore the revolutionary ideas and technologies that are being devoloped and tested (and implemented) on other OS's and by various companies, or you can open your mind and relise that Linux could benifit from some of this. MS has done this, Apple has done the same.. When will the wonderfull Linux *magority* do the same?

4) Other peoples ideas on Linux and how stuff could be is all too often bashed and punned.. Who died and made anyone of use here king of how Linux should be? Linux can be whatever anyone of us wants it to be.. Last I checked, It is everyones (GLP*edit*) GPL given right to do whatever and dream whatever they wish to do to linux - like it or not.. If you do not like another persons OPINIONS and PERSONAL PREFERENCE, then join a communist country or please drop the whole thing.. To discuss a point is one hting, to outright state someone is wrong or dumb, etc.. Is ignorance - pure and simple..

Now I know there will be some wisea$$ who is going to quote me and tell me how wrong I am.. Thats fine. Some elite bash prompt, kernel hacking, gtk designing, source patching, low level guru is going to throw his 2 cents in and show the forum what a god he is supposed to be by throwing me down. And thats fine also - it is nothing new here.

mdwatts: I enjoyed what decent people were here. There are many helpfull people here as well.. But I am obviously of no help here and people like me are ill thought of.. Consider this my last post. I wish you all the best here on JL, and good luck with Linux
    Last edited by deanrantala; 02-02-2004 at 03:37 PM.

Originally posted by deanrantala
    It is everyones GLP given right to do whatever and dream whatever they wish to do to linux
    GLP?
    does that stand for GO, LEAVE PLEASE

or do you think he meant GPL?? who knows.

sorry to see you leave, you make such a good argument... for A 10 YEAR OLD!!!!!!!

BaVinic
    Registered Linux User #285413
    ----------------------------------------

Shut the Gates, and Close the Windows
    Linux has arrived

Now now BaVinic, be nice
    Originally posted by deanrantala
    Well.. been quite a while since I have posted here...

Why? Couple reasons..

1) I have found it a problem that when others like to post help for problems, they get either critisized or a flood of others stating that they don't have the same problem... Who cares if YOU don't have the problem - I DO, and thats why I was asking..
    I agree, that is a waste of time...unless it's helpful in some way.
    Maybe a "Mine is the same as yours, but mine works...have you tried this, this or this?" A flatout "Mine works yours doesn't" should be followed with a
    2) Too many people here still think Linux is for only those who want to be OS elitist pigs... I am dearly sorry if this offends you, but face it: Linux can be for anyone who wants to use it.. It is just a matter of how it is presented and packaged..
    Some people like to use the command line for CD burning and others prefer a nice GUI...whatever, no need to flame anyone over this. I've even seen the vi vs. emacs and Gnome vs KDE wars settle down over the years...people are a lot more open now then a couple years ago

3) I find it funny how anyting Windows related it bashed and shunned off.. Yes, this is a linux forum and I understand most of you here have the "MS is evil" attitude.. But you all still fail to realise a couple items.. Windows still accounts for over 97% of the desktop OS market and is a centtral role in users new to linux. Another point of interest, so many Linux users have put Linux as such a high and mighty OS that they have narrowed their thinking - they forget that we can all still learn and inherrit many ideas and features from other companies and OS's. Linux is NOT perfect - No OS is.. You can either keep your head up your butt and ignore the revolutionary ideas and technologies that are being devoloped and tested (and implemented) on other OS's and by various companies, or you can open your mind and relise that Linux could benifit from some of this. MS has done this, Apple has done the same.. When will the wonderfull Linux *magority* do the same?
    How many people here run Linux only, and how many dual boot with a version of Windows? I'd think it's an even split, if not more towards dual booters. I run both Windows and Linux, but enjoy what Linux has to offer more.
    Yes, the elitists in the Linux community need to relax...but things are getting better all around. There are far fewer Linux Elitiest now then there was 2 years ago

4) Other peoples ideas on Linux and how stuff could be is all too often bashed and punned.. Who died and made anyone of use here king of how Linux should be? Linux can be whatever anyone of us wants it to be.. Last I checked, It is everyones GLP given right to do whatever and dream whatever they wish to do to linux - like it or not.. If you do not like another persons OPINIONS and PERSONAL PREFERENCE, then join a communist country or please drop the whole thing.. To discuss a point is one hting, to outright state someone is wrong or dumb, etc.. Is ignorance - pure and simple..
    I think the last quotes summed this one up also
    40 GOTO 30
    50 PRINT

Now I know there will be some wisea$$ who is going to quote me and tell me how wrong I am.. Thats fine. Some elite bash prompt, kernel hacking, gtk designing, source patching, low level guru is going to throw his 2 cents in and show the forum what a god he is supposed to be by throwing me down. And thats fine also - it is nothing new here.
    No, I think I've argeed with you
    And I mostly use defaults...nothing very fancy

mdwatts: I enjoyed what decent people were here. There are many helpfull people here as well.. But I am obviously of no help here and people like me are ill thought of.. Consider this my last post. I wish you all the best here on JL, and good luck with Linux
    Oh well, that's your choice...as well all know we have one...
    Too finish with one more quote...

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." Rush - Freewill

Alright folks- let's not get started on this one again please.

People come to this forum, and people will leave this forum; it's just the natural progression of things. People may find another forum in which they feel more at home, and that's natural too.

For those who become disappointed with JL and decide to leave- that's fine, the decision is certainly your to freely make. However, it serves no productive prupose to vent your displeasure by ranting in our forums; that is neither mature nor professional, and quite frankly, the rest of us don't need the interference of that kind of static.

For those would fan the flames by responding to the departing member's post with comments along the lines of "Fine, fsck off then!"- just don't do it. A reply like that is just as non-productive as the post you're responding to.

Let's keep it civil and helpful, OK?

Thanks

ok, point made.
    sorry I digressed.

BaVinic
    Registered Linux User #285413
    ----------------------------------------

Shut the Gates, and Close the Windows
    Linux has arrived

I am a member of both forums also (nutronix at linuxq.) but i started out with this here forum which has helped me a lot and given the amount of traffic here there is more info on this one...IMHO.
    But i also got a few answers just perusing the other one....i also like the related threads bit.....i too have noticed that a lot of people asking questions in the linuxquestions forum do not seem to have searched first....and i find that there is more crossthreading too....annoying in any forum.
    Thank you to the folks at JL. keep up the good work and the sense of humor JohnT....the helpfullness of Mdwatts,Hayl,Hirguy,Bavinic(why not).. and a lot of others.
    nuttron
    3 Slackware12.1 and 1 Debian Squeeze (3 puters), purring