Software:FTP:"Must perform authentication before identifying USER" error

Thread: Software:FTP:"Must perform authentication before identifying USER" error

Ftp

Hi I am running Redhat9 and am getting the following when trying to ftp into my box.
    Connected to thisserver

220 Servername FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
    User (thisserver:(none)): bionik
    530 Must perform authentication before identifying USER.
    Login failed.
    ftp>

It was working before, but after I updated my system I started getting this error. Ive tried restarting xinetd and vsftpd but no luck, I checked /var/log/messages but dont see anything about this error. Please help. Thanks

Welcome to JustLinux, bionik!

Sounds like a problem with the way you're implementing encryption (or the fact that you are implementing encryption) on the FTP server.

Does the information in this thread shed any light? If not, the results of this Google search have many suggestions.

Ftp

Thanks, I found out what the problem was. I had gssftp running at the same time as vsftpd. I just disabled gssftp from the services and it works fine now.

Right- that was it. gssftp is "Kerberized", which means that it uses a Kerberos authentication scheme. Client machines not properly configured for Kerberos would get the authentication error.

Glad it worked for you.