3d desktops

Thread: 3d desktops

3d desktops

This is going to be the new rave, however will a 3d desktop make us more productive? Shouldn't we keep our video games separate from our desktop interface. In addition, will everyone be able to run a 3d desktop on their hardware? It would be an interesting experiment on the side, but I think that the 2d desktop should continue to be center stage. What do you think.

personally, i have yet to see one that is not ugly and/or cumbersome to use.

i think it is a novelty and won't catch on.

we are so used to see our information on a 2D plane .. from the papyros to the modern age monitor screens .. it will be hard to get used to a 3D environment .. I Imagine it woudl be quite a confusing layout

Say it does sell well for Microsoft. Does that mean that we have to jump on the bandwagon. It's important for companies like Redhat and Novell and IBM to have a business platform like Linux, one that can handle the heavy stress of a server environment while security is a priority. What place does a 3d desktop have in the corporate environment?

Another thing is that vendors like Sun are bringing software patents to Linux. Shouldn't we keep Linux software open and accessible under the GPL. They can close Windows and Solaris if they want, but why should they have the right to dictate what we can do on Linux.

I know that this 3d desktop will be a growing issue in the future. I think it would be a good side project which people who have the proper graphics hardware can download separately from the main distribution.

Video games are fun, but as far as a desktop is concerned, it looks problematic. It's complicated by patents and hardware requirements. I think that better time would be spent in developing GPLed software and fine tuning our 2d desktop. Microsoft is after the gazillions of dollars. I'd rather have a stable and non rapidly changing platform, but an evolving platform in which rational judgement and reliability are the priorities as well as community support. Hell I still have a lot to learn with regard to Bash shell programming.

Before you run all over the place screaming because of software patents I recommend reading this thread (especially my last two posts ).

Main European software patents rant

3D desktops wouldn't be a thing that can be patented as it's an idea and not a product - unless laws change worldwide on what can be patented, ideas simply can't.
    Last edited by Parcival; 02-19-2004 at 09:50 AM.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Screaming my ***. Well you can believe that, but the patent office has all kinds of power to make decisions about that patents is grants to businesses. Since we have a monopoly in the industry we are in a delicate and precarious state. It's too bad that we are weakened so much by this monopoly, however what can you do. I understand that the USA has to protect it's monopoly to some degree, it's difficult to make a major shift even though Linux is going to increase stability in the economy, it maybe shouldn't happen all in a year. Sun has applied for patents on looking glass and they intend to deploy it on Linux. I don't like the idea of Sun bringing patents to Linux. It's one thing to copyright and to distribute under the LGPL, it's another thing to bring patents.

The black helicopters are coming!

BTW -- where do you get this "Sun bringing patents to Linux" junk?

Wonder what ever happend to VRML, used to work with it a bit in the mid-90's. Anyway, a 3D desktop will still function with apps that present information in 2D form. It'll just eliminate the need for multiple virtual desktops and allow familiar office paradigms to be used. A filing cabinet could look like, well, a filing cabinet. The documents inside would still be 2D representations in a 3D world. MS' implementation reminds me of that "Bob" app though. They seem intent on dumbing down everything.
    Last edited by Crito; 02-19-2004 at 10:24 PM.
    "Free-market capitalism is an oxymoron." And you can quote ME.
    If you have nothing to lose then there is no risk. Risk = ((Threat * Vulnerability) / Countermeasures) * Value
    HOWTO Block Google Spyware http://4crito.com/linux/tips/block_google.html - http://4crito.com/linux/tips/dblclick.txt
    HOWTO Setup F7 w/ AMD64 CPU and nVidia GPU http://4crito.com/linux/tips/f7tips.html
    SAVE LIVES, Make Alcohol Use Illegal http://drbenkim.com/ten-most-dangerous-drugs.html

3d desktops just look too hard to use and they don't have enough uses imho......('cept eye candy) There is a 3d desktop manager for linux but the examples of the uses just didn't seem to be useful enough to upgrade my video card.

I've used an app called Xdesktop (under win98) which was interesting (moving the mouse rotated the field of view left, right, up, down) but the files displayed were still 2d, and it was cpu intensive. Really made the system drag (not that windows didn't do that quite well on it's own). Today, I read a thread about Sun working on 3 versions of 3d desktop, with allow files to be rotated so that notes can be attached to the sides/top/bottom. It'll be interesting to see how that developes, and how well it works.
    If it ain't broke, TWEAK IT

Registered Linux user # 170078

The only way that a 3d environment wouldn't be confusing would be if it was actually 3d instead of simply trying to look that way.

That would entail a whole different type of computing environment than I am sure many are ready to deal with.

Just in looking at what the movies are doing with 3d enviroments, the technology most likely isn't too far away, but I believe, that once that type of technology becomes common place, massive re-writes of software will have to be done.

So I guess, I'll just keep it simple. As long as I am working in a 2d computing environment, I'll work 2d.
    Once in 3d.... Well, let's wait till it comes out first and we shall see....
    Knute

You live, you die, enjoy the interval!

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    Originally posted by bigrigdriver
    Today, I read a thread about Sun working on 3 versions of 3d desktop, with allow files to be rotated so that notes can be attached to the sides/top/bottom.
    I guess one of their software engineers finally got around to watching Carl Sagan's Contact.