fsck root filesystem

Thread: fsck root filesystem

Hybrid View

fsck root filesystem

Hi, I've got a recurring problem with my hard disk, and I don't know where to go next. I've got RH9.0 installed.

The problem is that sometimes (maybe weekly) the machine crashes - if running X, it just stops, responding only to ctrl-alt-backspace to return to text mode. If in text mode, it starts listing loads of errors against inodes on the root partition, and once it starts doing that, I can't enter any commands, or even ctrl-alt-delete (I can type stuff, but it ignores it). So I have to hit reset, and it reboots fine.

My difficulty is that I'd like to run fsck on the root partition, but I can't because it's mounted - I've tried single user and emergency booting, but it simply won't let me unmount it. Even if I could force a full check on the next boot, I'd be happy, but I can't work out how to do that.

Help? Thanks

get a bootable CD with the tools you need on it for when you need to fsck or do maintenance on a filesystem that needs to be unmounted.

i use this one... System Rescue CD

it gives you a bunch of options on boot as to what you want it to autoprobe, etc. it also has all the fsck commands, fdisk, partimage, blah blah blah on it.

btw, if you use that one, it does pause neear the end when it looks at your sound card, especially if it is a soundblaster - just give it a minute.

Check man shutdown. You need to add the -f or -F switch (I can never remember which is which) to shutdown, as in

#shutdown -f -r now

One of them forces fsck on the next boot, the other prevents it. You might need to be root to call shutdown directly.
    We are free to think. We are free to plan. And we are free to do. But once an action has been taken, we are never free from its consequences.
    --Russel M. Nelson, apostle.

Almost sounds like a bad disk or it's getting options it can not handle.
    I have a Seagate drive that when DMA is enabled it will spit out read/seek errors and eventually corrupt the data...since I've turned off DMA I haven't had a problem with it. It's slower, but I'll take that over loosing 20GB...

if you can, try checking dmesg to see if there are any kernel/memory errors. You can also check /var/logs/message for archives after reboot.