Best OS for 1gb 901mhz Machine

Thread: Best OS for 1gb 901mhz Machine

Best OS for 1gb 901mhz Machine

I want to get a alternate linux os (yes *gasp* i am a XP user) but i dont have enough room 19.01gb hard drive so i was going to use partition magic and re partition my hd so i have a linux part. Now what is the ideal os for a 1gb drive. As in os size when installed i really dont want to go over 500mb but if it makes a big difference maybe. Also has anyone tried out Bonzai ? (http://developer.berlios.de/projects/bonzai/)
    I would please like to know how big the os is and if it is english. If not thanks to everyone here anyone.

Later,
    Nibz

Peanut Linux! Very small install, compatable with Slackware packages from linuxpackages.net, and the small install already includes X and such...

Or just be really careful as you install Debian or Slackware.

Talking

What about the Knoppix or Morphix live cd? It runs on no partition at all, which is considerably under the 1 GB limit
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance............riddle them with bullets

technically, if you do it right, any distro can go onto a 1gb partition, you just will have a lack-of packages to do anything with. i would recommend you try:

1. Knoppix
    2. Mepis
    3. PCLinuxOS

all are live cd's, Knoppix is Debian based if i'm not mistaken, Mepis is also Debian now that i think about it, and PCLinuxOS is based of Mandrake (very easy distibution) which is also good.
    The Swain

dswain

i recommend knoppix for everyone's first linux distro, it's so easy even my sister can use it.

With Debian you could make a very minimal system.
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Moved to our brand new '.iso confused - Which Distro?' forum.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

hahahah, nice! sounds good.....
    The Swain

dswain