Changing Desktop icon size in gnome and how do i kill apps?

Thread: Changing Desktop icon size in gnome and how do i kill apps?

Changing Desktop icon size in gnome and how do i kill apps?

Ok, i have no idea as to why they have made it so tough to change the desktop icon sizes in gnome 2.4. I mean i have to right click on the icon and select 'stretch' and then do that for every single icon on the desktop separately. If that wasn't bad, all the icons now look messed up since some are bigger than others. Reason being that you just can't stretch them all perfectly and have them be the same size. No idea as to whose smart idea that was... Anyhow, is there any way at all to resize the desktop icons all together?

Secondly, is there a way to kill hung apps in gnome? I am not thinking 'ps -aux' on the command line but rather something like 'Ctrl-alt-esc' like in kde which brings up a 'death cursor' and you just click with the mouse on the application you want to kill.

Thx.

Im not sure about the icons but you can use xkill to stop unresposive apps by clicking on them.

yah, i was more looking for something from the keyboard like 'Ctrl-blah'. It appears that there is no way to change all of the icon sizes at once on google at least...wonder if anyone knows...

Originally posted by sk545
    yah, i was more looking for something from the keyboard like 'Ctrl-blah'. It appears that there is no way to change all of the icon sizes at once on google at least...wonder if anyone knows...
    i think there may be a setting in the gnome control panel or in the settings menu off of a right-click on the desktop. or, try seleting multiple icons and then right clicking.

there is a keymap for xkill in kde, you can create one in gnome.

thats the thing man. There is no such setting in the control panel of gnome or right clicking icons. Its just that the setting doesn't exist. Nothing on google either but seems like people have asked this before there and no one seems to know...

keymap? could you explain a bit more about that or how i make one?...thx.

Originally posted by sk545

keymap? could you explain a bit more about that or how i make one?...thx.
    Basically it's just a piece of software that waits for certain keystrokes and does things when they are detected.

So, you just say, when I hit Ctrl+Esc (or whatever you want), run xkill.

I'm sure gnome includes such a program, but as I don't use gnome I don't know the name of the program nor specifically how to configure it.

~psi42
    Last edited by psi42; 04-03-2004 at 12:55 AM.

In MDK To change the icon size of all icons go to the foot->system->configuration->gnome and select fole management preferences then adjust the section icon view details default zoom level
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Linux reg. User # 298337

thx