Converting to DV Avi

Thread: Converting to DV Avi

Converting to DV Avi

Hello,

I need to convert a DivX avi to a DV Avi so I can use it in the video editor Kino.

As far as I can tell, mencoder can't do it, and I'm completely mystified by the options presented in transcode's man page. Googling isn't much help - mostly people asking the same question.

Could anyone help me with this, please?

Robbo

(By the way, there's no way I can run or use Cinelerra, so please don't recommend it to me. )
    "Heisenberg may have been here."

Well, while this may sound somewhat like a obvious answer, your going to have to re-encode the AVI with a DV codec. Or the short of it is, IMHO, you have wound up in a strange land where you have found some nice software to do something you want to do, but it has totally non standard requirements...IE that AVIs are encoded with the DV codec. Who the heck uses a DV codec? How about nobody. Which means that all the AVIs you try and load into the beast won't work, because they were encoded with Divx or something else. Doesn't the software come with a way to re-encode the file? If not, I really would consider something else. Something more native you might say.

The program's meant for working with video grabbed from a camcorder, hence the DV Avi bizzo.

I only with that I could just go mencoder -ovc dvavi ..., but it doesn't seem to have a codec for it.

And I can't figure out transcode at all. Hence my question.

I think Kino's pretty much my only option, as cinelerra requires a beefy computer, and can't seem to output to anything mplayer can play. :S

Try Avidemux, and Sav Raw video stream. Not sure if that's what that option does...

Originally posted by terribleRobbo
    The program's meant for working with video grabbed from a camcorder, hence the DV Avi bizzo.

I only with that I could just go mencoder -ovc dvavi ..., but it doesn't seem to have a codec for it.

And I can't figure out transcode at all. Hence my question.

I think Kino's pretty much my only option, as cinelerra requires a beefy computer, and can't seem to output to anything mplayer can play. :S
    I couldn't figure out transcode at first either...but there are some nice frontends for your that solve a lot of those issues. Have you tried any of them?

I didn't know they existed, and after looking, found only ones that can rip DVDs, or extract video from camcorders.

Care to recommend any good ones?

(Oh, by the way, I found these lines:

Code:
    dvgrab --format dv2 --autosplit --frames 7200 [filenameprefix]-

transcode -i /video/MH/ep4/ -x dv,dv -j 4,32,12,32 -k -z -J smartdeinter=threshold=15:colordiff=0:diffmode=2:highq=1:cubic=1 -o final-cut.avi -y xvid -w 6400
    I'm guessing the second one could be flipped around to make the output codec 'dv', or something... Err... Any help would be appreciated. )