USB devices problem with SuSe 9.0

Thread: USB devices problem with SuSe 9.0

USB devices problem with SuSe 9.0

Hello :-D

I am one of the heavy Windows users as well as other MS products. I like to try something new, something challenged and I have a special honor to the OpenSource softwares, and would love to try them out.

I installed your software SuSe 9.0 on my PC, and have been having problems with all USB devices, SuSe does not recognize them.
    Does Anyone know how to solve this kind of problems please help me , or tell me some helpful pointers where I can go on with it!

Thanks in advance!

Here are some information about those USB devices:
    -----------
    Modem:
    -----------
    Name MicroLink 56k Fun USB s
    Description MicroLink 56k Fun USB s
    Device Type Internal Modem
    Provider Name devolo
    ----------
    Printer:
    ----------
    Name: Canon i350

Two things, Suse 9.0 is still running kernel 2.4 , which requires a manual mounting of USB devices, ie mount /dev/sdxx /mnt/[location]

For an easier way to life, I would recommend SuSE 9.1, which uses the 2.6 kernel, and would suite your needs better in terms of detecting new hardware, particularly USB devices and the like.

Hope it helps

Leon
    Feel free to PM me for help

Using PCLinuxos 2007 on my laptop and 2009 on my Desktop and proud of it!

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2) 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata HDD, nVidia 8600GM 512MB

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

Moved this to the Hardware forum since Installation is really meant for distro install issues and you already have SuSE installed, but are now having hardware problems.

SuSE 9.0 supports a great deal of USB devices. If you have the kernel source package installed, have a look through the text files in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb and also www.linux-usb.org for supported USB devices.

Some useful commands would be

/sbin/lsusb

/usr/bin/usbview (gui)
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

hope this isn't too late, but....

I'm a newcomer to linux as well. I spent a few weeks researching the different distro's, and the suse9.1 distro looked great, so I downloaded the 9.1liveCD, and it worked like a charm. Yesterday, I finally moved WinXP to the closet, and have Suse9.1 as my primary boot

I must say..it does a wonderful job finding everything, even the ntfs drive (to my pleasant suprise). USB drives are no problem either. I would highly recommend at least trying the 9.1 LiveCD to see if it fixes your issue.

now if I can only figure out how to install kismet and get it going, along with my wireless nic...I'll be set :P

Hi thanks for your advice, not too late :-D
    I got another advice saying about SuSE 9.1, and I tried it out, damn problem again with my usb devices, I just dont know what is wrong with them. One thing I may guess is that SuSE just don't include drives for these type of hardwares: Printer model: Canon i350, modem model: MicroLink 56k fun!
    Another guy used to have exactly the same usb modem, and he gave up and brought the device back to the shop and took the internal one but from the same brand. But I cannot do like this, I bought it longer time!
    well, we'll see!

I just installed SuSE 9.1 personal to dual boot on my machine and am having similar problems. It wont even boot at all if my usb battery backup is plugged in, it just hangs up on initilizing sound card drivers. Once i've unpluged the apc and restarted I enter into KDE just to find my printer dosent work. Good Luck!