cups doesn't see printer

Thread: cups doesn't see printer

cups doesn't see printer

I am using Gentoo with kernel 2.6.7, Fluxbox and a HP 840C DeskJet printer hooked up via usb. The kernel sees the printer:
    Code:
     tail /var/log/messages

Jun 27 18:08:18 Neo drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Unidirectional printer dev 4 if 0 alt 1 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x0604
    and can test print fine:

Code:
    touch test.txt
    echo "Hello World" > test.txt
    cat test.txt > /dev/usb/lp0
    But cups can't see it when I try to set it up in localhost:631. I have the following modules autoloaded:

Code:
    ehci_hcd
    uhci_hcd
    usbhid
    usblp
    usbcore
    I don't understand why it isn't being seen... Thanks
    Be professional, be polite, and have a plan to kill everything that you see. OOH-RAH!

Re: cups doesn't see printer

Originally posted by BrokenUSMC2003

But cups can't see it when I try to set it up in localhost:631.
    What do you mean that cups cannot see the printer? You can access localhost:631 to bring up the cups admin page, but your printer is not listed?

So I assume the cups service is started? Have you defined your printer in cups as of yet?
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

I should be more specific... The printer setup process goes along normally until I have to select the printer from the drop-down box (ex USB printer #1, USB printer #2, etc). Before it would show something like "HP 840C- USB printer #1." Doesn't do that now...
    Be professional, be polite, and have a plan to kill everything that you see. OOH-RAH!

anyone?

Originally posted by BrokenUSMC2003
    anyone?

Before it would show something like "HP 840C- USB printer #1." Doesn't do that now...
    Sorry as I took another day off from my pc yesterday to do some of my own work and I guess nobody else knows the solution.

I have no idea myself either. Does Gentoo have a package you need to install to give you the HP printer drivers for CUPS?
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

Yes, the program I have/need is called hpijs. Still working on it the problem... its an odd 'un.

Try just defining USB printer #1 anyway, it may simply be not displaying the name, but it may work fine.

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

I noticed that my machine spits out "lp: drivers loaded but device not found" during boot.