Noisy Power Supply Fan

Thread: Noisy Power Supply Fan

Noisy Power Supply Fan

This morning I took appart and cleaned out all of the dust that had built up in my computer. Since we have frequent dust storms a lot had built up in the fans. When I put the computer back together, and started the computer up, the fan supplying air to the Power Supply made a very loud noise.

This fan is inside the Power Supply. To clean it out, I opened up the Power Supply and pulled the entire fan and casing out (leaving the two wires attached). I used a brush to get all of the dust out of the blades, but I did not take the actual fan appart.

It seems possible that when I put the fan back in, I might have it rotated 90 or 180 degrees or it could be pulling air instead of pushing. I am note quite certain which is the correct way. I put the labelside upright and facing outwards.

The fan has made this noise only once in the past, after a build up of dust. The sound went away when I cleaned the fan blades. Today the fan started making the noise after I cleaned the blades.

Any ideas?

Just buy another fan and replace your psu fan. I've done that before with a couple of my psu fans that have worn out.
    Gentoo
    folding@home: 36480

It may be that there is some dust underneath the fan hub (the part that the blades mount to). Try to shoot some air under that and possibly blow it out. Or the fan bearings may be going on it. But, if you have some cash, just buy another one. I used to tear stuff apart about 15 or so years ago when parts were expensive.
    "68 65 63 6B 6C 65"

Can the fan be safely pulled appart without risk of breaking? I will probably have to replace the entire Power Supply as the wires connected to the fan disappear into a circuit board, probably soddered in place.

The case says Star 250W Switching Power Supply, but I can't find any information about it online or where to buy it. It does not say ATX anywhere on it, so I'm not sure what alternative types I could buy.

Just snip the wires and reconnect them with some electrical tape.
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." -Albert Einstein

diminishing.org - Screenshots and other random stuff.

You can just cut and re-soder the wires for your new fan.
    "I know where you're from but where do you belong?"

If you're wondering about fan orientation, feel if air is blowing out the back of the PSU. With the normal orientation, a PSU blows air outside the case.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan