Video camera as mass storage device

Thread: Video camera as mass storage device

Video camera as mass storage device

Hi,

I'm new to Linux and I've recently installed SuSE 8.0, I'm trying to get my video camera to work with it. The camera is a Logitech Pocket Video 550, it records onto solid state internal memory and additional flash cards. It works as a mass storage device and connects via USB.

When I connect the camera the internal & additional memory show up as /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 but my computer shows that it contains no files, even though video clips are stored.

I know that the video clips are stored in ASF format, if that has any relevance. Is there something I can do to get the video clips off of my camera and onto my computer.

Try using the -t option when mounting it. Normally this is done automatically, ie.
    Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash
    Maybe yours is using something other than the default file system type (don't know what that is for flash drives, vfat?) It may be some proprietary type though that isn't mountable. It doesn't have a secure digital card for memory does it?
    My Weblog

ASUS A7N8X
    Athlon XP 2500+
    GeForce FX 5200 128Mb
    1Gb PC2700
    120Gb & 40 Gb HD
    Gentoo & Flux

Have you tried or gphoto2 or
    gtkam, and I think KDE has Kamera which are front ends for libgphoto2.
    Here's
    a good rundown on Linux support for various cameras.
    If it a fairly new camera, USB mass storage should support it (if enabled in the kernel- not sure of Suse 8.0) and it probably is vfat if it uses a flash storage card.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

Originally posted by elderdays
    Try using the -t option when mounting it. Normally this is done automatically, ie.
    Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash
    Maybe yours is using something other than the default file system type (don't know what that is for flash drives, vfat?) It may be some proprietary type though that isn't mountable. It doesn't have a secure digital card for memory does it?
    Wouldn't that be:

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash

???

No wait, I get what you were saying. In any case, that's what you can try typing to explicitly set the file system.

I think the standard format for memory like that is FAT32, so unless it is some sort of proprietary thing (in which case it wouldn't work as a mass storage device however) it should work.

Re: Video camera as mass storage device

Originally posted by Blighty-D

When I connect the camera the internal & additional memory show up as /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 but my computer shows that it contains no files, even though video clips are stored.
    Have a look in /etc/fstab

cat /etc/fstab

to see if you have a entry for /dev/sda1. If you do, take a note of the mountpoint defined for /dev/sda1 in /etc/fstab and do a directory listing.

i.e. If the mountpoint is /mnt/flash, then do the following

cd /mnt/flash

ls -al

If not files, BUT you see another directory, change to that directory

cd <directory>

and again

ls -al

to see if there are any files.

That is what I had to do for my digital camera.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

Talking

Thanks for the help people, I have now mounted the camera properly and can access the files (although only when logged in as root) now I just have to find something that can convert ASF files to something like AVI.

From the mplayer docs:
    2.1.1.3. ASF/WMV files

ASF (Active Streaming Format) comes from Microsoft. They developed two variants of ASF, v1.0 and v2.0. v1.0 is used by their media tools (Windows Media Player and Windows Media Encoder) and is very secret. v2.0 is published and patented . Of course they differ, there is no compatibility at all (it is just another legal game). MPlayer supports only v1.0, as nobody has ever seen v2.0 files . Note that ASF files nowadays come with the extension .WMA or .WMV.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard