Suse 9.1 : VFS Unable to mount root fs on unkown block

Thread: Suse 9.1 : VFS Unable to mount root fs on unkown block

Suse 9.1 : VFS Unable to mount root fs on unkown block

Hi!

Total newbie at linux, been a dedicated windows user so far ... hope you guys help me change that!

I've been trying to install Suse 9.1 personal from the downloaded iso ... and had succesfully reached the step where it began the partitioning the hdd when the computer rebooted. Now when i try reinstalling i get the following error:

Kernel Panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on Unkown Block (8,5)

Any pointers? Do i need to format the hdd and then reinstall?

Am testing the install on a Intel Celeron 700 Mhz machine with a 810e motherboard and 256MB of RAM.

Thanks!

Since you haven't installed yet, there's certainly no harm in reformatting the HD. It shouldn't take too long. Give it a try and see if it goes any better.

A G4L search for 'Unable to mount root fs on Unkown Block (8,5)' found this for SuSE 9.1, but in German.

http://www.linux-web.de/thread.php?threadid=3455

Since it mentions hotplugging, see if typing

nohotplug

at the bootloader (Grub) commandline (then press enter) helps.

Some additional Grub boot/install options from Redhat

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...-bootopts.html
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

Thanks!

I reformated the hdd but the problem persisted.

Couldnt figure out how to access the command line or even grub for that matter, this was the first time i was doing linux anything, so please excuse my ineptness

Did try the manual install option, where it did allow me to skip over some devices, after doing that it would get a little further and then crash ...

Eventually through a process of elimination, figured out that the problem was with one of the RAM Chips ... replaced it and then it loaded fine! except that it hasn't been able to detect the mouse (tried the various options during install), and it refuses to detect the monitor, so i'm stuck with a res of 640*480 but i guess these are issues for the hardware forum