is it possible to use the jack on dvd drive as audio out?

Thread: is it possible to use the jack on dvd drive as audio out?

is it possible to use the jack on dvd drive as audio out?

all is said

Sure, if it's an audio out jack...

Yes, I have used headphone jacks as input to my stereo before. You can pick up a headphone to RCA-Y adapter at Wallyworld, Best Buy for around $4.

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

i'm speaking of a DVD-ROM drive connected by ide and an audio cable, what should i do to redirect the sound to it's jack?

Originally posted by gosam
    i'm speaking of a DVD-ROM drive connected by ide and an audio cable, what should i do to redirect the sound to it's jack?
    Which audio cable? The headphone jack at the front of the DVD or the audio cable connection in the rear?

The audio cable connection in the rear should be connected to your soundcard and then use the line-out or speaker out to plug into your stereo.

The headphone jack as suggested above by hlrguy.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

my dvd drive is connected to the mobo by an ide-cable and to the soundcard by an audio cable.

now what i want to do is have the sound played not to the audio out of the sound card (speakers) but to the jack present in the front of the dvd drive , just under the tray.

is that possible?

whan i simply plug in there a headset i get nothing no sound

Hmm, weird...

http://www.plextor.be/technicalservi...sp?choice=FAQ, tips and tricks&language=English&printer=False

On ATAPI or SCSI systems:
    - The headphone jack on all the IDE/SCSI drives is analogue signal output. Windows Media Player and some other players use "Digital" playback.
    - Because the signal can only go either analogue or digital there is no sound on the headphone jack when the Digital playback function is enabled.

I suspect that something like that is going on here? Are you playing it with XMMS or something? What kind of DVD drive is it?

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

i'm on gnome , so i use esd and rhythmbox.and it is a regular MSI ide dvd drive.

edit : i found a manual on msi's site, but they distribute it as exe. damn!
    Last edited by gosam; 07-01-2004 at 07:46 AM.

The jack is only for analog out from a playing CD. If youre wondering if you can use it as a headphone jack for applications, the answer is no. Audio only comes out of a reading drive, not in then back out.
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

To read the .exe file, you might try using unzip -l on it to see if unzip can figure out the file format (most of the time, .exe's when distributed are nothing more than self extracting .zip files, which unzip can usually read).

If unzip -l gives you a bunch of files (or only one), then run it again without the -l to unzip all of the files (or the one file) to the current directory.