Boot Problems in Suse & Fedora

Thread: Boot Problems in Suse & Fedora

Boot Problems in Suse & Fedora

Newbie with a kernel/boot problem.

I had been running SuSe 9.0 for a couple months until KDE crashed, afterwards the kernel wouldn't mount the root. A few days ago I installed a Fedora 1 distrib and the same problem is happening. I get a message of "kernel panic: unable to mount root fs on 00:00."
    The cpu is one i built (fairly new hardware) and might have parts that are incompatible. I have had boot problems before with the dma being enabled, yet after i disabled it, it seemed to be working fine.

Do i need a patch? A different driver? Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Re: Boot Problems in Suse & Fedora

Originally posted by nullinall

Do i need a patch? A different driver?
    Hard to tell what is wrong let alone if a patch or driver update (for what?) is required.

Are you dualbooting with Windows?

Did you install Fedora over SuSE using the same partitions (formatting during Fedora install)?

How are your partitions setup and where did you install the Linux bootloader (Grub or Lilo)?

What motherboard model (including chipsets) do you have?

Anything in the system bios that can be modified/disabled/enabled that might help? Disable power management? Disable DMA?

You could also have a look/search through the Installation forum as we have lots of previous threads that are somewhat similiar to yours.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas