gentoo on centrino

Thread: gentoo on centrino

gentoo on centrino

I recently acquired a Presario X1370US laptop and I want to try out gentoo on it. It has a centrino processor so I am stumped at which disks I need. There is one specifically for the P4 but none for centrino. Or can I just use the i686 version?

btw DSL runs fine on it(DSL is based off Knoppix)
    -------------------------------------
    blobaugh
    lobaugh.net

All you ever need to know about Samba at O'Reillys (Online book)
    DSL Linux in your pocket.
    Need help choosing a distro? Distro Chooser
    My Screenies
    Table of Windows equivalent software on Linux
    Linux Games from Windows

The 2.6.x kernels have support for the Pentium M processors (the 1/3 that makes the Centrino Chipset) and this is the setting that should be used, also there are some additional settings under the Power Management -> CPU Frequency scaling section that apply to the Centrino (Intel Speedstep)

If using a 2.4.x kernel, you can use the P3 or P4 since the Pentium M uses instructions from both, I've heard that P3 offers better performance though...

Oh, and if I just confused you...I prefer installing Gentoo from a Stage 2 install, which is about 25MB to download.
    Gentoo.org offers instructions on how to do this with a LiveCD

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    There is one specifically for the P4 but none for centrino.
    As far as I know, Centrino is not a processor but rather a marketing ploy by Intel. Specifically, a "Centrino Certified Laptop" has a Mobile Pentium processor and at least an 802.11b integrated wireless card. I might be wrong but I think you need to keep this in mind.
    Last edited by klackenfus; 07-03-2004 at 12:22 AM.
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

Originally posted by klackenfus
    As far as I know, Centrino is not a processor but rather a marketing ploy by Intel. Specifically, a "Centrino Certified Laptop" has a Mobile Pentium processor and at least an 802.11b integrated wireless receiver. I might be wrong but I think you need to keep this in mind.
    Right, Intel's Centrino Product Page explains a lot about it, but it boils down to

Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology =
    Intel® Pentium® M processor
    Intel® 855 Chipset Family
    Intel® PRO/Wireless Network Connection

Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology =
    What bugs me about this is the fact that these mobile processors have such anemic specs. Good lord, buy the full item. I know I was very conservative but my new laptop sports a 2.66 GHZ processor and I know the P4Ms can barely scratch 2.0 GHZ. It's all in the marketing. Oh and I forgot to mention, integrated 802.11 G!!!
    Last edited by klackenfus; 07-03-2004 at 12:28 AM.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

blobaugh

My apologies for going off on a tagent. I think you should be fine with the P4 install. I do not think (insert standard "I could be wrong disclaimer") the Centrino label should hold you back.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:

Why don't you try X1000 Linux? It's Gentoo, tailored specifically for your laptop series. I haven't tried it, but it's worth a look. http://www.bitbuilder.com/x1000/

If you use Gentoo on a P-M laptop, you really should compile and use gcc 3.4, as it has P-M specific CFLAGS. I did, and my system runs pretty nicely. I've got an IBM T40, but I think the wireless chipset is non standard. Oh well, it works just fine.