initrd disappeared?

Thread: initrd disappeared?

initrd disappeared?

Hi-

I've got (or had) MDK 10, Gentoo, and Slack 9.1 running on my machine with XP on another disk. I reinstalled Slack (don't know why, now that I think of it) and did a full install over the Gentoo partition and the old Slack partition. I rebooted (using bare.i) and started to compile a new kernel (2.6.7- which I had running my Slack before).

Now- it's my MDK that controls LILO, cause it set it up nicely with XP and all, so I don't feel like messing with it- it's easier that way. Normally, I mount the /boot partition for MDK in Slack under /boot (coincidence?), so that I can copy over my new kernel. Well, i did what I usually do, rebooted into MDK, added the new kernel to the LILO config, and rebooted into Slack.

KERNEL PANIC

It said it couldn't mount my root partition. So I tried to boot MDK- initrd was bad or not present?! Now I'm thinking, "Great, I KNEW I shouldn't have reinstalled Slack!" As a last ditch effort, I tried to load up bare.i-- it worked!

So what happened? I remember that while I was in KDE I looked at the Boot config tool, but I made sure to hit cancel each time so that it wouldn't mess with my boot loader...

Any ideas? And how would I fix it to get back in my MDK?

Thanks
    Di mi se mai fu fatta alcuna cosa || Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.

-- mdwatts, Grand Master, >> 40000 posts
    RIP: August 25, 2004

***Funky stars and monkey bars***

No bites...

Slack AFAIK does not use an initrd by default.

Make sure the kernel you compiled has support for the filesystem you are using. I know slack's prebuilt 2.6.7 does not have reiserfs support, but the prebuilt 2.4.26 does.

No idea about mdk though.

Best of luck
    ~psi42

Yeah, it was just MDK complaining about initrd, but I didn't touch it, so I couldn't figure out what happened...

I'll look into that 2.6.7 kernel thing, but I think I configured the kernel for it. Mighta been too tired...

Ok, thanks-