if you could only have one distro..what would it be?

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: if you could only have one distro..what would it be?

if you could only had one Linux distro..what would it be?

I think i have tried them all My hard drive has one partition for debian, slack, suse and gentoo.

Off all these i prefer Debian.

I did not really like the way suse is and Gentoo takes for ever to compile stuff. Slack on the other hand is good i like it but for some reason i prefer debian

how about you ?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Linux user #355624 Debian Linux
    Latitude D810 --Pentium M 1.86Ghz , 1GB DDR II PC-4300. X600 ,15.4". SATA 60GB
    Home ssh / ftp server P 4 @ 2.8Ghz , 225gb 3 x maxtors
    =====www.kanotix.com=====

I think I can say with a good deal of certainty that you haven't tried them all.

www.distrowatch.com

This is also a post for the Which Distro forum, I think.

I started with Mandrake but am now a Slacker

Go Slack!

I didn't have much luck with Debian or Gentoo but I did try them when I was not as familiar with Linux as I am now so it would be wortha nother look (when time permits!!)

it would be arch except installation is a major 'beeeeatch' and i only did it once and cant do it any longer (scratch head)

although if BeOS was a linux distro then id choose that.

Mandrake

Mandrake was the first Linux distro that I ever tried and I would have to say if I could only have one Mandrake would be it. At work all of our lab machines run SuSe but I don't really care for it too much. I have also done a Stage 1 Gentoo install, used Debian, Arch, Red Hat, and Fedora Core. I think what it comes down to in the end is which distro do you know the most about. For me I stuck with Mandrake long enough to get fairly familiar with it and I seemed to get a good base for doing a lot of things in Linux in general. If you know how to do things by editing some basic config files then you should have a pretty good basis for using just about any distribution.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

I say Mandrake since it's really easy to use for a n00b like me.

When I first started using Linux (about 3 or 4 years ago now) I tried a few different distros, and ended up settling on SuSE Professional.

(1) it's cheap, like all Linux distros

(2) when I was on dialup having 6 CDs loaded with RPMs was especially fantastic. I still like that as almost all the apps work very well "as on CD". Some of the ones that require proprietary codecs are crippleware, unfortunately.

(3) overall very good hardware and installation process, that gets better with every version #, and good online resources at
    http://www.suse.com
    http://packman.links2linux.org

So that helped me as a newbie.

(4) the software and documentation in the Professional edition has allowed me to expand my usage further as time goes on.

If I were starting over again I might very well end up with Libranet though - Debian-based, and apparently a very good installer and hardware detection.
    Last edited by rdeschene2; 07-06-2004 at 09:35 PM.

Oh, forgot to answer the question last time. If I could only have one distro, it would be LFS (even though they specifically say that they're not a distro, they're a set of instructions to get a working Linux system using nothing but the sources; that's beside the point).

Since the book requires a working system (gcc, glibc, binutils, shell, etc.) to get started, though, it would have to come with one of the boot CDs that a couple of contributors have put together. Basically they built LFS and then burned it to a CD -- pretty nifty, actually.

I started with Libranet Linux 1.2 Since that first experince I have tried Mandrake, Red Hat, fedora core 1, Redmond Linux, Lycoris LX, Storm, Linspire 4.5, and Suse 9.1 personal. Suse 9.1 is now my distro of choice and I intend to stick with it. Suse is as solid as a rock and finds all my hardware first time and is running all the software I need . I do have that free pack ordered so I can expand my horizon and help liberate some of my friends.

I have tried Mandrake, Suse, Linspire, and Fedora. I have liked all of them minus Fedora. I am now using the Xandros Open Circulation Edition which I think is great for newbies like myself. As I learn more about Linux, I plan to try Slackware and/or Gentoo but frankly lack the know-how to install them. Once I have more time to learn, I plan to give them a try.

Anyway, back to the question, for now my one distro would be Xandros.
    "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." -Kurt Cobain.

"Anyway, back to the question, for now my one distro would be Xandros." That sounds like a good choice to me. The nice thing about linux is that sooner or later you will find that distro that matches up correctly for you and your off and running.

gentoo
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

Slackware
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

There's more than one distro??
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

I started with Red Hat 5.2 and used RH untill the version 6.2.
    I have tried Mandrake from 7.2 - - 9.1, Slackware 8.0 and SuSe 8.1. but since nov.2002 I have always used Debian and I just love it (even though I'm still a newbie).
    Linux user: #289926