if you could only have one distro..what would it be? - Page 15

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: if you could only have one distro..what would it be?

Gentoo. Actually, it is all I have on this rig. When I transfered to my new hard drive, I left Mandrake behind.

This is what I like about Linux and Gentoo.

Code:
    root@smoker / # uptime
     03:44:50 up 42 days, 21:21,  5 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.19, 0.54
    root@smoker / #
    Ooops. I forgot to logout of the console.

Code:
    root@smoker / # uptime
     03:45:42 up 42 days, 21:22,  4 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.29, 0.55
    root@smoker / #
    That's better. Was loged in as root too. < slaps forehead >

Later

My rig: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P mobo || AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz || ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU cooler
    G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 PC3 12800 Memory || Nvidia GT-220 video card || LG W2253 Monitor
    HP Deskjet D4260 printer || LG GH22NS50B DVD R/W || WD1600AAJS & WD2502ABYS & Samsung HD753LJ & Seagate ST3000DM001 hard drives
    Cyberpower CP1350C UPS || Cooler Master HAF-932 Case

WARNING: Slow typer. Someone may answer the question while I'm trying to type it in. Oh, I type bad too.

I started with Winlinux, Phatlinux and many other Redhat-based "easy" distros. Then, a Unix friend came with Slackware 7 and my serious Linux era started.
    When I managed to get a decent Samba working condition, I got rid of Windows as a file server, installed a Linux server (Slackware) and ran X applications by network. From then, my server is always running in Linux.

For the Desktop computer(s), I have tried Mandrake and Suse and because they are much more "automated" than Slack, I used to run them more often (Slack seemed too difficult back then), but I realized, even at my early days in Linux that Slack was more compact and understandable. So, I went back and forth between Slackare and Mandrake, trying to find how Mandrake got a solution in any situation, and applying a relevant manual solution in Slackware. You know, mouse wheel, X configuration, network wcripts, scanner, printer, automount etc.. So, after some tries I managed to configure everything and finally applied 3d acceleration in Slackware with the Nvidia module.

I also tried Debian which I like in everything except the always old "Stable" tree.

What I like in Mandrake most is that it was the only distro that got my HP scanjet 3300c working. So, I tried to do the same in Slackware, which included uninstalling all Sane packages, obtaining the Sane and Xsane sources, take the new scanner source tree (by third party) and do the compilation work by hand, and it worked.

I've also tried Gentoo and I liked it very much. I plan to install a new Gentoo soon.

I am a Slackware fan because:
    It's more Unix-BSD oriented.
    It's very simple & understandable.
    It's very manual.
    Has the unmodified kernel inside, so I can compile very easily.
    I learn a lot through it.

But I find all the distros I used till now very good at one way or another and I try to learn new things from each one.

Conclusion: If I could use one distro only, it would be Slackware.
    http://users.hol.gr/~micro
    Visit my GNU/Linux and Music pages!
    Update your browser's cache:
    Hit refresh inside the updated pages.

"But I find all the distros I used till now very good at one way or another and I try to learn new things from each one." Yeah thats the way I feel about Linux all day every day!

I've mostly been Gentoo, but finally after many tries with nvidia and gentoo not working (gentoo hates my nvidia) I've decided Debian is my distro of choice

Originally posted by Hmse
    I've mostly been Gentoo, but finally after many tries with nvidia and gentoo not working (gentoo hates my nvidia) I've decided Debian is my distro of choice
    Strange, I use Gentoo and have a Nvidia fx5200 card. It works fine for me. Never had any trouble with Nvidia drivers even with Mandrake.

You sure you had it set up right? Just curious.

Later

My rig: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P mobo || AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz || ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU cooler
    G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 PC3 12800 Memory || Nvidia GT-220 video card || LG W2253 Monitor
    HP Deskjet D4260 printer || LG GH22NS50B DVD R/W || WD1600AAJS & WD2502ABYS & Samsung HD753LJ & Seagate ST3000DM001 hard drives
    Cyberpower CP1350C UPS || Cooler Master HAF-932 Case

WARNING: Slow typer. Someone may answer the question while I'm trying to type it in. Oh, I type bad too.

Originally posted by Hmse
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not the evil Debian! Those guys are suxors!
    </sarcasm>

Originally posted by dalek
    Strange, I use Gentoo and have a Nvidia fx5200 card. It works fine for me. Never had any trouble with Nvidia drivers ...
    Ditto, but I've got an fx5700 yet still no problems, even the gf2 that I replaced worked great.
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

I have found Nvidia to be very Linux friendly across many distros.

Cool

I started with Red Hat 5.0 [Hurricane] in May of `98. I used Mandrake for a few weeks and now I'm onto Gentoo. I love experimenting with other distributions. I have a stack of distro CDs (both x86 and PPC) and wish I had an extra PC and/or Mac just to do test installs on. That would be fun.

Or maybe I need to get out more.
    Last edited by tlyons; 01-05-2005 at 03:04 PM.

Originally posted by enshum
    Yeah thats the way I feel about Linux all day every day!
    enshum --

After reading through this entire thread, and paying particular attention to your replies, I hereby dub thee:

"Master of the Cheap Post"

If I follow your example, I'll reach 50 in no time.

- T.

Maybe switching

Wow. I've gotta say there are some persuasive posters on here that have really made me itch to try some other distros.

I really liked Debian but got kinda bored waiting for the releases to come out, hence my use of MDK (v10.1 and it only started in `98).

I'm not a huge Gnome fan, but the zealots here have made me long to try out Ubuntu. I'm downloading "Warty" (what a disgusting release name!) as I write this.

I think I'll try out Sarge, too. Deb's like an ex-wife that you can't help but keep going back to. I wish 3.1 would hurry up and get here. So long as it comes out before Mandrake 12, I guess I'll be OK.

Ah! Ubuntu's done. Time to burn an ISO.

- T.

Re: Maybe switching

Originally posted by tlyons
    Wow. I've gotta say there are some persuasive posters on here that have really made me itch to try some other distros.

I really liked Debian but got kinda bored waiting for the releases to come out, hence my use of MDK (v10.1 and it only started in `98).

I'm not a huge Gnome fan, but the zealots here have made me long to try out Ubuntu. I'm downloading "Warty" (what a disgusting release name!) as I write this.

I think I'll try out Sarge, too. Deb's like an ex-wife that you can't help but keep going back to. I wish 3.1 would hurry up and get here. So long as it comes out before Mandrake 12, I guess I'll be OK.

Ah! Ubuntu's done. Time to burn an ISO.

- T.
    If you like KDE better than GNOME, definitely try out SinplyMEPIS (and maybe Xandros, too). If you're more of a plain window manager guy or a "try 'em all" kind of a guy, then try out Libranet. To me, Mandrake, of the easy distros, is one of the ones with quite a few window managers to play around with besides the default KDE. But Libranet goes WAY beyond. In it's present form, IceWM, a lightweight window manager, is the default, but the usual GNOME and KDE are also available, along with Fluxbox, XFCE, and several other window managers. With Debian (and by extention, Libranet) you can try all kinds of other window managers, editors, browsers, whatever else tickles your fancy, OR you can stick with something easy (as demonstrated by Ubuntu, SimplyMEPIS, Xandros, and Linspire, all Debian based commercial distributions, all good at what they do.

My picks among them are Libranet for its all around general purpose, full functional offering, and SimplyMEPIS for its really easy and functional desktop.
    Brian W. Masinick
    Masinick at Yahoo Dot Com

Slackware is the only distro for me.

Slackware is good

Originally posted by dannybunkins
    Slackware is the only distro for me.
    Slackware is a very good distro, it was my first distro way back in 1995. I still try it out pretty often. However, I find downloading packages from the Debian distribution to be a more effective use of my time. Debian's apt-get tool sees the dependency tree and downloads all necessary libraries and applications any time I request the installation of a specific application. I can also upgrade the entire system with a single command if I feel like it.

With Debian I can go conservative and get well tested out packages, or I can go for the bleeding edge stuff, but as I do so, I add or remove all packages that depend on one another - a big time saver.

I still like Slackware, but for every day use, it's Debian for me.
    Brian W. Masinick
    Masinick at Yahoo Dot Com

Yeah, I've also since given up Slackware for Debian. But I hear they have slapt-get for Slackware now...

I don't think I'll be going back to Slackware anytime soon though. I prefer these advantages of Debian:
    -3 distros in 1 (stable, testing, unstable)
    -More packages
    -More users (in others words, more help)
    -Unlike other distros, Debian's apt-get wasn't just "thrown together". It was a process, built from the ground up. link
    People often say how they came to Debian because of apt-get, or that apt is the killer app for Debian. But apt-get is not what makes the experience so great: apt-get is a feature readily reproduced (and, in my opinion, never equalled), by other distributions -- call it urpmi, apt4rpm, yum, or what have you. The differentiating factor is Debian policy, and the stringent package format QA process (look at things like apt-listchanges, apt-list-bugs, dpkg-builddeps, pbuilder, pbuilder-uml -- none of which could be implemented so readily lacking a policy (imagine listchangelog without a robust changelog format)).