if you could only have one distro..what would it be? - Page 11

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: if you could only have one distro..what would it be?

I started off with Mandrake 9.0. Bad start! Then I said, what the hell and slid that Woody Install disk into my CD-RW drive. What an experience, and that's what Debian is when you're a newbie on Linux, its just awesome if you read the right docs, and I learn very fast, so Debian is just all around goodness.

For the ones seeking Sarge here are the daily builds:

http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimag...ng/daily/i386/
    Only two things are infinite: The Universe, and Human Stupidity. And I'm not sure about the Universe.

- Albert Einstein

Mine, would be Slackware.
    Last edited by rwtoften; 11-07-2004 at 01:03 AM.

Thumbs up I have a new answer!

Anybody ever heard of Kanotix? I kind of hate the name, because I have such a hard time remembering it. It seems to keep falling out of my head whatever I do-- but unless there are performance issues down the road-- and there is certainly no sign of that so far-- this is going to be my favorite Linux for a long, long time. I installed K on my old 12 GB hard drive this morning, and immediately I knew that I had to wipe Fedora Core 2 and put on my brand new 200 GB harddrive. This is sheer genius!

Kanotix (once again, I had to look at my notes for that weird-*** name!) uses Knoppix technology to put Debian Sid on a fast and stable live CD with a 2.6.6 Kernel. So it's cool for all the reason that Knoppix is cool, only maybe a little more so. But the real difference with Kanotix is how it installs to the hard drive. Knoppix has a reputation for being slow and buggy on the hard drive (to be fair, I've never used the most recent version). On the hard drive, Kanotix runs just great, faster than Fedora Core 2, which also has a 2.6 kernel, in my opinion. It's pure Debian, but it's a simple strightforward install-- and unlike fast learners like amgeex, I REALLY REALLY NEED a simple, straightforward install! I'm a reasonably bright fellow, and I really TRY to read those computer manuals-- but I am just not a natural geek.

For two years now, I've tried to run Debian Woody. Couldn't get the soundcard to work with 2.20 kernel, so I tried to compile and install a new kernel with mixed success. (Turns out all I really need to do was type some simple instructions at the boot prompt. I just found that out yesterday!) And so on.

It hasn't all been frustration and failure. Once I took an old box with a malfunctioning mouseport and installed Woody without X. I turned it into a "bashbox" that I could use to chat with people in IRC for support when I was trying to install something on my main box. It didn't make me McGyver or anything-- but I got a big kick out of being able to find a use for something that a lot of people would have thrown away. I've always felt that if I could just get the whole thing working, soundcard and all, I'd want to run Debian-- with its gravitesse, its proud noncommercial lineage, and enough free software to last a lifetime. But unfortunately, I was too stupid.

Well, now, I'm running Debian. And the real surprise came when I checked the /etc./apt/sources/list, and realized that the addresses of several debian repositories had already been entered there. So all I had to was type online:

apt-get update

and:

apt-get upgrade

to put myself in touch with thousands of Debian packages, through the legendary simplicity of apt-get. I'm now running just about everything I want to be running. It's fast. It's flexible. It's Debian for the rest of us. And the soundcard works perfectly.

I'm sure that to some, Debian made simple will never really be Debian-- but to these die-hard traditionalists among my fellow citizens of the Linux Nation I say... uh... bite me!.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 09-25-2004 at 10:48 PM.

Re: I have a new answer!

Originally posted by blackbelt_jones
    Anybody ever heard of Kanotix? I kind of hate the name, because I have such a hard time remembering it. It seems to keep falling out of my head whatever I do-- but unless there are performance issues down the road-- and there is certainly no sign of that so far-- this is going to be my favorite Linux. I installed K on my old 12 GB hard drive this morning, and immediately I knew that I had to wipe Fedora Core 2 and put on my brand new 200 GB harddrive. This is sheer genius!

Kanotix (once again, I had to look at my notes for that weird-*** name!) uses Knoppix technology to put Debian Sid on a fast and stable live CD with a 2.6.6 Kernel. So it's cool for all the reason that Knoppix is cool, only maybe a little more so. But the real difference with Kanotix is how it installs to the hard drive. Knoppix has a reputation for being slow and buggy on the hard drive (to be fair, I've never used the most recent version). On the hard drive, Kanotix runs just great, faster than Fedora Core 2, which also has a 2.6 kernel, in my opinion. It's pure Debian, but it's a simple strightforward install-- and unlike fast learners like amgeex, I REALLY REALLY NEED a simple, straightforward install! I'm a reasonably bright fellow, and I really TRY to read those computer manuals-- but I am just not a natural geek.

For two years now, I've tried to run Debian Woody. Couldn't get the soundcard to work with 2.20 kernel, so I tried to compile and install a new kernel with mixed success. (Turns out all I really need to do was type some simple instructions at the boot prompt. I just found that out yesterday!) And so on.

It hasn't all been frustration and failure. Once I took an old box with a malfunctioning mouseport and installed Woody without X. I turned it into a "bashbox" that I could use to chat with people in IRC for support when I was trying to install something on my main box. It didn't make me McGyver or anything-- but I got a big kick out of being able tio find use for something that a lot of people would have thrown away., but I've always felt that if I could just get the whole thing working, soundcard and all, I'd want to run Debian-- with its gravitesse, proud noncommercial lineage, and enough free software to last a lifetime. But unfortunately, I was too stupid.

Well, now, I'm running Debian. And the real surprise came when I checked the /etc./apt/sources/list, and realized that the addresses of several debian repositories had already been entered there. So all I had to was type online:

apt-get update

and:

apt-get upgrade

to put myself in touch with thousands of Debian packages, through the legendary simplicity of apt-get. I'm now running just about everything I want to be running. It's fast. It's flexible. It's Debian for the rest of us.

I'm sure that to some, Debian made simple will never really be Debian-- but to these die-hard traditionalists among my fellow citizens I say... uh... bite me.

that is what i have been using ! IT simply rocks much better than just plain knoppix.

Kano's script install the ATI drivers in under 3min perfectly

www.kanotix.com/files
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Linux user #355624 Debian Linux
    Latitude D810 --Pentium M 1.86Ghz , 1GB DDR II PC-4300. X600 ,15.4". SATA 60GB
    Home ssh / ftp server P 4 @ 2.8Ghz , 225gb 3 x maxtors
    =====www.kanotix.com=====

I love Debian, but I never heard of Kanotix before now. Great find guys.

Another great thing about Kanotix after using FEDORA is HEY, it even supports obscure, little-known file types like MP3's!

Fedora core 1 does seem to have recognition problems which is why I quit using it . Have not tried fc 2 or 3.

if you could only had one Linux distro..
    If I could only had one linux distro it would was slackware.
    If I could've only had one linux distro it would've been slackware.
    If I could only have one linux distro it would be slackware.
    (and I'm trying to decide if I need a comma after distro. )
    Last edited by bs_texas; 09-28-2004 at 09:13 PM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

if you could only had one Linux distro..
    (if you could...implies the future) (only had ....implies the past)

It would be one that would allow me to be grammatically correct when posting to forums. Oh! I already have it. Slackware.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Slackware
    Ubuntu

Registered Linux User #313600

In this order Gentoo, Debian, and one that I made up as a joke called Gnubian, like the goat.
    Registered Linux User #365191

It would be Mandrake.

I tried serveral Linux distro's the first was Slack, again Slack then SuSe and Suse and Suse... Now I got Mandrake, Mandrake Cooker.. and on the test machine I got Knoppix and VidaLinux (gentoo) even had Gentoo installed. Have tried.. OneBase (go) which is very nice to, had some debian installed on the servers... great stuff .. I also tried GoboLinux... that was a kind of a turn... but still I'll stay at Mandrake.. great distro.
    Eisman
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Using Open Source is a choice and that choice is up to you!

Thats what I like about Linux so many great distros to choose from. Makes it hard to get board theres always something new to try out.

If I could make my own distro, I would make it have an awesome package manager, like portage. I would make it like Gentoo, and I would have a couple side projects that install like Slackware, SuSE, or something easy for people who don't want to chroot tarballs, or write their own config files, and I would make the base install include the latest Linux Standard Base, and I would include a straightforward text editor, kind of like nano, but maybe based on vim, because vim is cool.
    Registered Linux User #365191

Sounds very good to me when do you plan to start? Let me know when you are ready to release I would like to try it out.