if you could only have one distro..what would it be? - Page 17

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: if you could only have one distro..what would it be?

I started with Mandrake then switched to SUSE, then about a month latter switched to Ubuntu Linux I never tried the more popular distros just Mandrake SUSE and Ubuntu so far Ubuntu Linux is by far the best distro that I have ever used I've hard a lot about Debian and Gentoo never tried em though I heard that Gentoo was to hard to compile install etc and not worth the effort then heard so many good things about this all so famous Debian very seldom do I ever here any bad about Debian so I'm going to wait until Debian gets here and make my final vote but for now I'm voting for Ubuntu Linux.

Well Im a convert. I started out this post wondering why everybody thought slack,deb,gentoo were better than redhat. Know i understand a little better. FC2 will always have a place in my home. Mainly cause it works good for what i use it for(and im to lazy to change it), but all the installs i do from now on will be SLACKWARE! Slack rocks and it just works.

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Slackware rocks, I agree. that's why I sent mail to Linux Format commenting on the last issues Distro presentation. I think that the Slackware community is far wider than it appears to be, mainly because we are more quiet.
    http://users.hol.gr/~micro
    Visit my GNU/Linux and Music pages!
    Update your browser's cache:
    Hit refresh inside the updated pages.

If you are good and you know your good you dont have to make a lot of noise, just do what you do best.

one distro notably missing

I'm surprised we haven't heard one person mention Novell Linux yet.

Considering the size of the Just Linux community I can't believe it hasn't found it's way into one person's favorite distro slot yet.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I'd say my favorite distro (Slackware) but I already posted. So I won't bother to bring it (Slackware) up again. LoL
    If you don't know your rights you don't have any......Irv Homer radio talkshow host Irv homer archives

Sabayon 3.4E
    kernel 2.6.22
    KDE 3.5 with Beryl
    X.org 7.2
    Asus M2N-SLIDelux
    2 Gig Ram
    hda 60 gig WD Hard Drive
    sda 320gig WD Hard Drive
    sdb 80gig WD Hard drive
    ASUS EN7600GS Silent
    member of the justlinux folding@home time

"I'm surprised we haven't heard one person mention Novell Linux yet." Well I have never used it myself, I use Suse 9.1 pro. I also have Xandros on a smaller hard drive and Ubuntu. I guess I just like Linux.

Originally posted by enshum
    If you are good, and you know your good, you dont have to make a lot of noise, just do what you do best.
    For once, I agree with enshum(), and I completely disagree with micro. Slackware fans boys are some of the loudest mouths I have ever seen. (Though in fairness, I do get loud about Debian sometimes too.)

Anyways, as for the size of the Slackware community, check out www.distrowatch.com for some (pseudo) real numbers. You'll see Slackware at number 8. Whether you think that is good or bad depends on your point of view.

PS.
    I know that distrowatch isn't exactly the best measure for community base. On the other hand, I think it measures something much more important: community growth.

Then, Sepero, perhaps you misunderstood me.

Slackware has far more fans that the promotion of it via various magazines would create.

Just look at all the critics about slackware: unfriendly, outdated, no utils, little intervention to the code by the distro creator, one person distro, old, old old etc.

All magazines talk about Redhat, Suse, Mandrake (Mandrake, Mandrake). Consequently, it is a miracle that Slackware is number 8.

This is b/c when you get experienced enough to try and use Slackware, you stick to it.

From using the wheel mouse to extending the scanner compatibility of SANE, you have to do it the hard way in Slackware. But since you can do this, you do not have to rely to special tools anymore.

This tells us that Slackware fans are hardcore users in the same time. They are not occasional users that "visit" a distro and then try something else, or retreat back to Windows.

And it is strange that the "vanilla" (authentic code) and "old" characteristics of Slackware are now criticized as "bad", as if modifying everything and being "modern" is the key to success!

Slackware problems are of the type that requires more expertise, other distro problems are of the type "bug bug bug". There was a distro that would not change ip whatsoever by the friendly tools. Slackware does not have that bug. There is a distro that takes an hour to find packages to update. Slackware does not have this difficulty. There are distros that lack the Samba server (!!!!!!!) as if this project is 100 mb and does not fit to the cd! There was a dvd distro that lacked the kernel code (!!!!!!) and I had to ditch it b/c the kernel was not vanilla, so I could not d/l from kernel.org, so I could never use the Nvidia module, which requires source! I could write 6 pages of Linux distro bugs that do not exist in Slackware. It's not by luck that I am a Slackware fan. And I do not agree that we are loud.
    http://users.hol.gr/~micro
    Visit my GNU/Linux and Music pages!
    Update your browser's cache:
    Hit refresh inside the updated pages.

Loud ....who's loud?
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Started using Linux about a month ago and when looking for a distro to start with I figured might as well start with something that will make me learn Linux so I went to the SLackware site and downloaded the ISO's
    After managing to get through the install process and actually getting Xorg configured properly I was quite happy. Tried Ubuntu for a few days but was TOO easy and didnt force me to learn much, gave Gentoo a shot and while it took awhile to get through the install and finally getting a desktop enviorment I really didnt notice too much speed difference with Slack.
    Jumped back to Slack and have been happy ever since. In the past month Ive learned to do many things from the CL ( which was scary for me at first =) and am now getting to the point where Im pretty comfortable in installing slack on my home / file server and being completly windows free.

When this thread started 6 months ago I said Suse. Too late to change mine to Debian?
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

Originally posted by micro
    Slackware does not have this difficulty. There are distros that lack the Samba server (!!!!!!!) as if this project is 100 mb and does not fit to the cd! There was a dvd distro that lacked the kernel code (!!!!!!) and I had to ditch it b/c the kernel was not vanilla, so I could not d/l from kernel.org, so I could never use the Nvidia module, which requires source! I could write 6 pages of Linux distro bugs that do not exist in Slackware. It's not by luck that I am a Slackware fan. And I do not agree that we are loud.
    I think your 1/2 page long rant speaks for itself.

"On the other hand, I think it measures something much more important: community growth." I agree. When I think back to the Maximumlinux forum days the most solid community was Slackware and the users were very knowledgable and offered very good advice.

I just don't understand the old thing. What is meant by old.
    i use 2.6.10 kernel
    gnome 2.6
    kde(dont know what version, cause i dont use it)

My scanner works so does my printer. my computer serves as a print server for windows and linux boxes.(4), something i couldnt get to work on Redhat or Suse all the time.

i use firewire and my usb thumbdrive was easy to setup. my wireless keyboard has the buttons programmed.

the installer is aged, but easier than some others(cough:::woody)
    and here is the beautiful thing ONCE YOU INSTALL IT YOU WONT INSTALL ANYTHING ELSE (guess that was loud)

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Originally posted by Sepero
    Slackware fans boys are some of the loudest mouths I have ever seen.
    USE GENTOO!!!11Oneone!
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||