Sarter

Thread: Sarter

Sarter

I was looking to start doing some more programming in C++. I want to make something useful for the Linux computers this could be anything (I read about making the screensaver the desktop and thought that would be cool).

So I need some project ideas that are possible in C++ and would require me to increase my knowledge base. I currently know very little about C++. I can do practically no graphics, but most of the math that would be pertinent to a project including the matrices.

You can inherit what I've started for a gtk theme color editor (very little).
    Started it in Perl, I knew I should have just stayed in Perl. But noooo, "it'll be fun to rewrite this section with c strings..."

sourceforge.net has help wanted ads for new developers.

Alternativly, you can do "projects" experimenting with various libraries and techniques in order to gain experience.

For the latter approach, here are some good starting points:

wxwidgets.org -make GUI applications that will run and compile on virtually all platform (Windows, GTK+, MacOS classic, Mac OSX, some handhelds, etc)

kde.org -the big desktop environment written in C++ (GNOME is written in C). There are many add-on program projects here (kdemultimedia, kdeedu, kdegraphics, kdeadmin, etc). Another excellent place to start.

clanlib.org -If 2d game making suits you, here is a good starting point

crystal.sf.net -I heard this was a good API for 3d game programming. I recommend supplementing it with Blender for 3d modeling (blender3d.org)

Hope this helps,
    cfaun5

works for me but I'll need more detail

I can also prob help with the conversion from perl as it isn't bad to learn another language and it shouldn't be that hard

if you'd post or PM me details