A Justlinux Wiki?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Justlinux Wiki?

A Justlinux Wiki?

After using various wiki's around the web, I was wondering if anyone thought a wiki for justlinux might be a good idea. Where members could post help tips and add to those tips. Not sure how much server configuration would be involved and whether the justlinux administrators would consider it a paying proposition.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

I second hard candy's idea for a wiki. This was a good resource when I first started out with linux, but it wouldve been nice if it had expanded, and it looks like it hasn't been updated in a long time. "The How I Did It!" forum has some good tips, but it lacks organization. This would be a good way to bring all this together, and people could write howtos for those very common questions. Whether or not that would be feasable to implement would be up to the powers that be, here at JL.
    - Debian testing/unstable with kernel 2.6
    - IceWM

Even though i might get flamed around for this,
    I think justlinux doesn't really need one.

I'm just thinking that there's another wiki over @ www.linuxquestions.org and I'm just pestimistically believing that we would be reinventing the wheel again if we had one here too.

It just seems that linux documentation is too fragmented, and everyone creating their own little wiki isnt really going to solve that; nor help as much as others contributing one, more centralized wiki.

/sry for the rant.
    <a href="http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131047">JustLinux's Newbie Reading Guide</a>

Why couldn't this be the central Wiki for the Linux community.

It would increase the traffic to the site if we could get enough other sites to move their help to this Wiki and then the advertising revenue could go up to cover the cost of upping the bandwidth.

Just a thought.

My thoughts would be to replace the help library with a wiki like system. It would remove alot of the barriers to putting up how-tos and would probably work fairly well.

I can't imagine that we would get that much in the way of trolling / destroying the articles, since we only get a troll like once a month or so (the bad ones atleast)
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

Originally posted by PeteTheNotSoGr8
    Why couldn't this be the central Wiki for the Linux community...........
    Just a thought.
    Thanks for the comments; though JL would have a trouble 'claiming' a stake to be the central wiki-depository for the linux community, since we don't have one yet. Although, the JL site has been around for quite some time and is established in some distro documentation, I believe., it does hold some ground and influence.

Overall,
    I think the admins (bprofitt) should talk to the people @ linuxquestions, and other forums as well[I don't know of any other forums that have small wiki's; but they should spread the word anyways] , to bring a central depository of a linux wiki, for all to share.

/notices its my 200th post - wahoo !
    <a href="http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131047">JustLinux's Newbie Reading Guide</a>

I would be more interested in discovering how to break down these perceived barriers to the Help File Library, now that all you have to do is post something in the HFL forum channel, and after I look it over and edit it, it's up.

(And yes, I know the current submittal instructions are not clear, but I am having access issues in that part of the site.)

BKP
    Managing Editor
    JustLinux

Originally posted by bproffitt
    (And yes, I know the current submittal instructions are not clear, but I am having access issues in that part of the site.)
    Well....

If you just made wiki and accessed it once, wouldn't that solve the problem? I doubt it.

I think to reduce friction between different forum communities, we (or someone) could make a "cental" Linux wiki at its own dedicated site.

Googled for "linux wiki."

The top one is the LQ wiki, followed by a foreign LUG's wiki, followed by one in a different language, followed by one at Wikipedia, followed by another LUG's wiki. No independant wiki.
    . : My Blog : : System specs (scroll down) : : Screenshots : .

"The world is like a giant puzzle; it's always easiest to fit where you belong."

Originally posted by bproffitt
    I would be more interested in discovering how to break down these perceived barriers to the Help File Library, now that all you have to do is post something in the HFL forum channel, and after I look it over and edit it, it's up.

BKP
    I was more referring to how if something is out of date, then theres not much that people can do other than email someone (I dunno who I'd even email, maybe pm serz or you or someone). But the ease with a wiki (and a forum) is the ability to immedietly do something and have it become available, including fixes, updates, and additions that are specific to various distros.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

Help File Library: Mounting Your Zip Drive

Written By: Skamm
    Updated: July 8, 2002
    Skamm sent in these simple instructions for getting your zip drive mounted. Warning: this example is for Red Hat, but may easily work with other distributions as well.

Enter these commands in this order:
    mkdir /mnt/zip
    insmod parport
    insmod ppa
    mount -t msdos /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip

Don't use "insmod parport" if your version is pre-5.2

Here's Sensei's contribution

To use and check your zip, type:
    cd /mnt/zip
    ls -a

VOILA!
    Here is a perfect example of an "out of date" NHF
    I don't about you guys/ladies, but I use the imm driver for my 250 zip drive, and since I use the 2.4.27 kernel.......I have to use ide-scsi emulation,
    and I also need to make sure that the -scsi low-level driver is enable in the kernel.........but those who use the 2.6x kernel ide-scsi is not really needed.
    Stuff like this needs to be brought up to date in order to help Newbies....not hinder them.................

Id much rather see individual forums within the software category for the popular distros (Software > SuSE, Software > Fedora, etc) before a wiki. I think the forum itself is more than enough information for users... after reading the posting rules, of course.
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

Originally posted by timothykaine
    Id much rather see individual forums within the software category for the popular distros (Software > SuSE, Software > Fedora, etc) before a wiki. I think the forum itself is more than enough information for users... after reading the posting rules, of course.
    Personally, I never liked that idea since alot of the debian info does cross over into other distros, as does slack etc... But people become less likely to check these other spots to help people out.

I remember back a while ago, nearly all help questions were posted in a single forum section, made it really easy to go back 5 or so pages and make sure nobody got missed. I'd rather not expand the number of forums (or whatever the thing is called) any further...
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

i like HC's idea.

[vote]
    yes
    [/vote]
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

Originally posted by sharth
    Personally, I never liked that idea since alot of the debian info does cross over into other distros, as does slack etc... But people become less likely to check these other spots to help people out.

I remember back a while ago, nearly all help questions were posted in a single forum section, made it really easy to go back 5 or so pages and make sure nobody got missed. I'd rather not expand the number of forums (or whatever the thing is called) any further...
    I can understand that, and took it into account when thinking about it. I dont really know the rate in which this site is growing, but I have seen it pick up pace quite a bit in two-or-so years Ive been here. Its not needed now, but maybe in the near future. Perhaps certain issues will be crossposted, while others deemed propietary (yast issues, installation issues, etc) will be restricted to those forums. Although, I know my post viewing habits, and I only respond to what I see on the front page's recent posts, and the threads Im subscribed to. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling only a dedicated few (probably mostly moderators) are actually going into the forums beyond the frontpage to help out, and those people probably also are dedicated enough to check the other thread-groups as well.

Please feel free to tell me if Im wrong, or even right. A better understanding never hurt anyone.
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

Originally posted by timothykaine
    I can understand that, and took it into account when thinking about it. I dont really know the rate in which this site is growing, but I have seen it pick up pace quite a bit in two-or-so years Ive been here. Its not needed now, but maybe in the near future. Perhaps certain issues will be crossposted, while others deemed propietary (yast issues, installation issues, etc) will be restricted to those forums. Although, I know my post viewing habits, and I only respond to what I see on the front page's recent posts, and the threads Im subscribed to. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling only a dedicated few (probably mostly moderators) are actually going into the forums beyond the frontpage to help out, and those people probably also are dedicated enough to check the other thread-groups as well.

Please feel free to tell me if Im wrong, or even right. A better understanding never hurt anyone.
    I just submitted a post, last night because i hadn't read this one first!

[stupid]Viperskin[/stupid]

I think you are probably right, and I am still fairly new to linux, but I li mentioned in my Ideas post, that an unanswered posts search, similar to that on Gentoo's forums is nice. I go there all the time when I want to learn, help, or just read!

Read my Idea post Here!

My two cents! Your lucky I did not give you three!
    Viperskin

My Machine:
    P4 2.8GHz
    1.5GB RAM
    2x 82GB HD's
    ATI Radeon 7000
    Dual Boot XP and Gentoo Kernel-2.6.7-r12
    ---------------
    Registered Linux user #294125 Get Registered! Click Here!!