good mp3 codec

Thread: good mp3 codec

good mp3 codec

started backing up my cd collection and just wondered what good codecs there are. what about lame. monkey or ogg vorbis?????

From just a compression viewpoint, ogg vorbis is the best since it is open source and is compatable with a fairly wide range of players.
    For lossless compression, which may be better for storage of audio files if you want to preserve the complete dynamic range, flac

may be the best, as it is opensource. See the above link for the comparisons. If I were just interested in preservation, I would go with flac. If I were interested in preserving space, I would go with ogg vorbis.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

And note that none of those are "MP3 codecs". MP3 itself is a codec; those are competing audio codecs (compressor / decompressors).

Let me also put a vote in for Ogg/Vorbis, but only if you aren't planning on using the recording to recreate the CD later on. I use it to rip CDs to my machine to be put into my master playlist later, but I wouldn't want to rely on it for a CD backup (it's lossy). I've never tried compressing anything losslessly, but I would think that a .wav file which is then bzip2'ed might work. Or FLAC (that would probably actually be better, as HC says -- I've just never used it).