Light Linux Distro - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light Linux Distro

No, noscsi doesn't seem to help... I don't seem to be able to register to the Yoper forums to ask for help... This is all the lines I see on the screen. I can't make much out of it, maybe someone else can... Maybe this should go in a new thread?

Code:
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 284k freed
    Using try_mount
    Checking /dev/hdc ... ide-cd: cmd 0x28 timed out
    hdc: DMA interrupt recovery
    hdc: lost interrupt
    hdc: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DaraRequest }
    hdc: status error: error=0x00
    hdc: drive not ready for command
    ide-cd: cmd 0x28 timed out
    hdc: DMA interrupt recovery
    hdc: lost interrupt
    hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
    hdc: status timeout: error=0x04Aborted Command
    hdc: DMA disabled
    hdc: drive not ready for command
    hdc: ATAPI reset complete
    Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
    no media
    Checking /dev/scd0 ... no media
    Checking /dev/scd1 ... no media
    Checking /dev/scd2 ... no media
    Checking /dev/scd3 ... no media
    No YOS boot CD found!!!
    Kernel panic: Attempt to kill init!
    Maybe I'll install Mandrake just to avoid all the manual configuration and all the time that will take... just to make things simple.

I'd suggest Damn Small Linux or Feather Linux (see my sig), both work like a charm on older systems and are Debian-based.
    Registered Linux User #325947

Check out Feather Linux, my distro.
    (Yes, it's shameless self promotion, deal with it )

Thanks for the tip! Right now I'm trying Vector linux (in the middle of the installation now). If it doesn't work out I'll try Feather Linux. Had forgotten about that, tried to install it on my USB memory but I couldn't install syslinux because I use "FAT" and not "FAT32" (and I can't change because it's also a MP3 player...).

P.S. Mandrake 9.1 did NOT work out well... I installed it in desperation, but it did not have the right packages... Not surprising, since it's not meant for "lite" installationsD.S

Vector Linux works fine, it detected all my hardware correctly and has both fluxbox, XFce and IceWM to chose from. The only think that hasn\t worked is installing the swedish keyboad layout. I\m using the US key layout now, so I get a few funny symbols and letters here and there... Hope to fix it soon. Thanks for all the suggestions, but slach and gentoo will have to wait a little longer still... >(

(that was supposed to be a smile... this US key layout is really annoying...)

I like DSL better than Feather Linux. www.damnsmalllinux.com or org I dont remember right off hand
    Why windows, Why not Linux?

Vector Linux will stay on the laptop, I think I'll use DSL for my USB... but I'm not sure... Maybe I'll just try them both.

/home/earth/usa/south-carolina/charleston
    Similar situation -- I have an old Gateway Astro with 64M RAM, a 4G hard drive, and about (I think) 399 mHz. I keep it so my wife can learn on it. On this Gateway, Winders 98SE sputters and gasps like an old Rambler with asthma. DamnSmall Linux runs like blue blazes on this ol' Gateway, and it was a breeze to install in a dual-boot.
    Helps that DSL uses Fluxbox; which can probably run on an abacus.

great I'm planning on burning a DSL CD to use in school, if I like it I'll install it on the laptop.