Broadband >50% in the USA

View Poll Results: Do you have broadband?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am blessed

42 87.50%
  • No, I listen to my modem

5 10.42%
  • Neither, I use an envelope and stamps

1 2.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadband >50% in the USA

Broadband >50% in the USA

Broadband usage in the USA is greater than 50% now. I wonder if that is true for other countries and for members of the Justlinux community?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

Im lucky enough to live in Seattle, Washington. Washington has the highest coverage in the US. I use Comcast, and Im JUST out of reach of Verizon. I wish I could use them, they cost half as much. Im stuck with Qwest or Comcast, so Comcast it is.
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

Sat here in Cardiff (uk) on a 750k connection and even sharing the bandwidth with two other people and the web/mail/ftp server I have more than enough to keep me going!
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
    - Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I started out on SBC DSL two years ago and just three months ago switched to Time Warner Road Runner cable service. The cable is so much better than DSL was. I think it's still fairly new down here (northern Ohio has had it for a while now) so there aren't enough people using to really kill the bandwidth yet.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

When I'm at school I get fast network to my dorm room, but my home is so far away from any place to get broadband that the only way we will ever get it is through satellite, and that costs a fortune! I can see that when I graduate I'm going to have to live somewhere that offers broadband or these Linux isos are going to take forever to download.

When I was interested in broadband our area has no connection and the telephone company would consider a connection only if there were 100 expressed interest. It took about 3 months to accumulate 100 in the Internet register. only a 0.5M transmission rate but has been instrumental in getting me into Linux as I can download the free iso.

UK is pretty much behind in broadband but it is definitely picking up momentum.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

im in the US and have no access to broadband
    Join the JustLinux irc chat | irc.freenode.net | #linuxn00b
    San Diego Web Development | Used Computers for Sale

Slackware Linux | Gentoo Linux | Debian GNU/Linux
    Registerd Linux User #313504

For those of you who say you have no access to broadband in your area, there is hope. I just got a job here in northern Maine installing broadband fixed point wireless internet. It can operate at a range of 20 to 40 miles, depending on foliage interference. Most of the installs we do here are 7-10 miles out, and they get 700 up 150 down normally. Due to the terrain and the sparse population, this is an ideal solution. We put the access points on radio towers, and all we need is something on the order of five to six subscribers per access point to make it worth while. Those of you lacking broadband should really look into either finding a provider, or possibly even starting one on your own. We use mostlyTrango stuff, with a little Motorola Canopy, and some long range 802.11 we are phasing out. It is really cool stuff.
    http://counter.li.org
    http://www.joshcheney.com

In Australia, broadband is becoming more common but it has only been recently that it has been really affordable.

I still use a modem link at this stage, mainly because I am not on the net enough to warrant broadband.

I would hazard a guess that more than 50% of Australians would be still on dial-up though! One main reason is our telco has had to upgrade a lot of hardware in their exchanges to cope with ADSL and that has taken time and money, which of course users pay for in more ways that one!

Originally posted by Darkbolt
    im in the US and have no access to broadband
    God I would kill myself if I were in your situation. Broadband = reason to surf the net and play online games without pain. Without it, I would be in pain or dead.
    I use Linux because failure is not an option.

My box:
    SuSE 9.0 Pro
    Intel P4 1.5ghz
    768mb Ram PC-133
    40gb HDD
    Counter-Strike Server: 66.58.59.138:27015

DSL is finally arriving to the some of the rural towns here in Scotland but there's a long way to go. I can get it at home but i'm way too mean to pay for it.

Although my employer has been convinced that broadband is a absolute neccessity, this satifies my surfing needs nicely!!
    "Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene." - Homer J. Simpson

For those of you who say you have no access to broadband in your area, there is hope. I just got a job here in northern Maine installing broadband fixed point wireless internet. It can operate at a range of 20 to 40 miles, depending on foliage interference. Most of the installs we do here are 7-10 miles out, and they get 700 up 150 down normally. Due to the terrain and the sparse population, this is an ideal solution. We put the access points on radio towers, and all we need is something on the order of five to six subscribers per access point to make it worth while. Those of you lacking broadband should really look into either finding a provider, or possibly even starting one on your own. We use mostlyTrango stuff, with a little Motorola Canopy, and some long range 802.11 we are phasing out. It is really cool stuff.
    That sounds like really good news to a lot of people.
    If it works in the urban and suburban areas that would bring competition to the market. But there may be too much interference. Does it have to be line of sight transmission? And what do you need for reception, a dish?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

In Singapore, Pacific Internet and Singnet provide ADSL, Starhub provides cable.

Seems like most of my friends use Broadband too, and maybe its a larger percentage than in USA (cos its a small place)
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Originally posted by hard candy
    That sounds like really good news to a lot of people.
    If it works in the urban and suburban areas that would bring competition to the market. But there may be too much interference. Does it have to be line of sight transmission? And what do you need for reception, a dish?
    Agreed, although I would be curious how much it costs per month. Also, 700 up and 150 down? That seems backwards to me. I know I'd rather download faster than I upload

http://www.trangobroadband.com/produ...subscriber.htm
    has the specs on the subscriber units. It does look like line of sight. 10 Mbps (= 1.25 MBps) for speed.
    Not bad prices, roughly $500 per subscriber unit, and $1500 per transmitter/reciever but "Since the antenna beamwidth of each AP is 60 degrees, a minimum of 6 Aps are required to cover one 360 degree site.". If you had enough subscribers you could set up an ISP without cable and watch the money build up.
    But it said the temp range was -40F to 140F. Would that affect using them in upper Maine, Canada, and Alaska? Doesn't it get down to -40F sometimes?
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard