Do you think Justlinux needs a new board in a language other than English?

View Poll Results: Do you think Justlinux needs a new board in a language other than English?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope, not necessary.

13 65.00%
  • Yes, I want a French board.

1 5.00%
  • Yes, I want a German board.

2 10.00%
  • Yes, I want a Spanish board.

1 5.00%
  • Yes, I want a Russian board.

1 5.00%
  • Yes, I want a Chinese board.

1 5.00%
  • Yes, I want a Japanese board.

0 0%
  • Other language (please specify in a post below)

1 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Justlinux needs a new board in a language other than English?

Do you think Justlinux needs a new board in a language other than English?

The whole idea initially started in this thread at /dev/random. We have been wondering if it would globally make JustLinux even more attractive to Linuxusers if they could also post in other languages than English, like it can e.g. be seen at the Gentoo Forums.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Im all for the idea but the hard part would be finding moderators that know the language.....
    Only you can prevent forest fires

Not to mention finding advertisers who would support the site. I have actually suggested multi-language forums before, and the idea has been nixed.

Still, given that the JupiterWeb folks are doing so well, and if there is high demand, I have no problems with trying to get such channel(s) started.

Peace,
    Brian
    Managing Editor
    JustLinux

I'd lean towards a no.. But I really couldn't care less. The main thing would be a question of could they be better served here, or a site that was entirely in their native tounge.
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

Brian, if specific-language forums aren't possible, how about a simple "Non-English" forum? If you had to convince the advertisers, you could argue that a non-English forum doesn't turn out other language speakers into the cold (harsh world of the Internet and other forums ), and they might attract friends to the forum who do speak English and thus are susceptible to English advertising...
    We could also possibly have semi-moderators who speak various languages, I guess, or an intensive training course for current moderators
    Registered Linux User #325947

Check out Feather Linux, my distro.
    (Yes, it's shameless self promotion, deal with it )

I've ended up getting help from non-english web pages on more than one occasion and just letting Google translate the content. It works remarkably well, seeing as not a lot of meaning can be lost in translation when you're talking about computers. "Put it the , in the around of ::" comunicates 95% as well as "put the , on the other side of the ::".

I think other language forums would be a great advantage. Just my 2p.
    Rich

It would be a nice idea to have other languages. But how do you decide which languages to support? German? Spanish? Chinese?? What criteria will be used?

I personally feel we ought to keep things limited to English in this forum for two reasons. One is that, unless I am mistaken, English is the "world's language" and that it is taught in most schools as a foreign language at an early age. At least that is what my friends in Germany, Spain, and France tell me. Some of the older crowd might be left out, but anyone prolly 30 and younger knows enough english to get by on this forum.

Two is that it would be too difficult to determine which languages to add w/o making other language speakers feel unwelcome. It wold also weaken the forums a bit by diluting the forums a bit, based on language.

you can't please all of the people all of the time.
    Last edited by fatTrav; 08-25-2004 at 06:30 PM.
    "You are not beaten until you admit it." --George S. Patton

"Reading and learning, it's what linux users do"
    "Double clicking" doesn't work on Linux

G4L | ZSH - The Z Shell

Apple OS X, FreeBSD, and Smoothwall

Sorry guys, I didn't wanna be ungrateful for JustLinux being "only" an English website in case it sounds like it. I share all your concerns (follow the link to the other thread to read some more) and I perfectly agree with all of you. Multilingual forums is just an idea that spontaneously overcame us and that could be a substantial improvement - if it's being asked for, that is. I for myself won't have nightmares if JL will never have a German board.

The languages listed in the poll are the languages I believe to the most spoken all over the world. If a board in a different language would come into existence I guess it would be only possible if we could draft native speakers as moderators from the already existing Linux crowd. However, if e.g. 734 voters want a Spanish board, I guess the chance would be high that we could also find half a dozen good mods among them.

Well, right now most voters don't want a change, so I guess things will probably stay this way.

Live long and prosper

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Spanish...

If you could find a way to fit in everyone, that would be wonderful. If you are stuck with one language, try Spanish, assuming this URl is USA based, only because for us and our neighbors, there is more Spanish than any other non-English language no matter what the folks in Quebec might claim. (For those who do not know it, Hispanics are our most common minority, in recent years passing blacks, and a high percentage of Hispanics retain some of their Spanish.)

I spend a lot of time in Mexico. In our village is a young man who runs a satellite internet cafe. I have discussed with him the importance of using the Web for information, but he told me he has tried, but his English simply is not up to the task.

In any case, in the end it is a business decision by the owners of the URL.

More...

That man in Mexico is well under 30.

By the way, though I am not considered fluent in Spanish, I can plug away at it and would certainly be glad to help to the best of my ability, though I am not good enough to be a moderator...

latin
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

linguam latinam dico, item linguas Helvetii, Germanorum, Gallorum et Anglum

<EDIT> Gee, that's what happens when one is trying to brag with one's Latin - of course I got the genitiv plural wrong. </EDIT>
    Last edited by Parcival; 08-26-2004 at 02:48 AM.

Originally posted by Parcival
    linguam latinam dico, item linguas Helvetii, Germani, Galli et Anglum
    how long did you search for that?
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

I didn't have to search for such a simple sentence as I had Latin in highschool for 8 years. However, it starts to wear off as you can see in the bad style displayed above. Today I have trouble reading structures like e.g. in Cesar's Gallic War, but I still enjoy to read poems by Catullus every once in a while, though.