2 comps on single cable

Thread: 2 comps on single cable

2 comps on single cable

I tried connecting two computers using a single cross-over ethernet cable and assigned both of them distinct static IP addresses. I then modified the ARP table on both of them to map the IP address of the other computer to the ethernet address of the other computer. However, failure resulted when each tried to ping the other. If possible, could someone give me an explanation or pointer as to why it didn't work and a possible solution (if the setup is feasible to begin with).

Any help would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,
    cfaun5

curious...

Why'd you modify the ARP table? If ARP resolution is neccesary, the systems should negotiate that themselves.

Did you try just connecting them, giving them IPs, and not fool with ARP?
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

it should work.....

use crossover cable, assign IP's and ping away!!

as Alex Cavnar said, why are you monkeying with Arp tables?

if you want to ping by name, simply add the other hosts name and IP to each /etc/hosts file.

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    Personally, I think the problem is in the phrammismodulator on the second host.

cant be the phrammismodulator because Arp tables use fluxcapacitors, not phrammiss'esees

Originally posted by happybunny
    cant be the phrammismodulator because Arp tables use fluxcapacitors...
    fluxcapacitors have been deprecated in the 2.6 kernel, please use the Orthogonal Transpedance Informers instead.

Yes; I also tried without assigning anything to the ARP table.

Do you have link lights and everything?

I've run Crossover cables in the past, and all I've ever needed to do was assign IPs, make sure physical connectivity was working, and then go.
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

also...where did you get the crossover cable? I have had what I thought were crossover cables in the past, only to find out they were all pinned out wrong.

where the Frick did you Framis from?

ive only heard one person in my life use it and it seemed like a non common phrase. Now flux's are common but the framis is spooking me out.
    GNUoob.com Name says it all

eek....I am a geek.....(attemptive)Linux user #328439

My Puter: Hamster Processor/some rams/and 22 floppies in raid.

My Folding@Home Stats

THANK YOU JustLinux.com crew

If both nics are configured correctly an dup, I would take a look at the crossover cable. Did you buy it specific as a crossover cable or did you make it yourself? Have you checked the cable to make sure it is good? Heck, two pc's? I would get a cheap hub and a couple of patch cords and call it done.
    "68 65 63 6B 6C 65"

I tried again and it works now; one of the computers had interesting packet filtering settings.

Thanks for the help!