Foreign Language forum(s)??

Thread: Foreign Language forum(s)??

Foreign Language forum(s)??

Feeding off a thread from a few weeks ago:

Would it be possible to open a foreign language forum? If not several (one for each of the "basic" languages), then would one be possible? I think it could be a good thing, considering there are already a bunch of members with a foreign language as their mother tongue, and sometimes, for example, figuring out what to search for is the hardest thing (seems that holds for people who are native speakers as well... ).

I guess that if it were just one forum, then it should be required that the first word of any post be the language so that a search of "French XF86Config" or "français xf86config" turns up only threads with that language (or a reference to that language ).

I know there are several board members who wouldn't mind being moderators for the forum (I guess it would be an easy way in, huh??), though we would need at least enough to cover most languages people are asking in. If I had to cite the "basic" languages, I'd say: German, Spanish, French. If there were a great enough demand then Italian as well. Russian, Chinese, et al would be just too complicated to work out... (Well, maybe not)

I myself am a native English speaker, though I know French and German. I cannot say that being a moderator here is at the top of my list (I get the impression that there is more involved than meets the eye), however it would be an honor No, seriously, I would only be willing to do it, should one be needed (i.e.- no native french speaker who is reliable can be found- I know there're quite a few german speakers).

So that's the suggestion some of us were talking about, and now it's posted in plain pixel. Thanks for your consideration.
    Last edited by Rinias; 09-17-2004 at 04:15 AM.
    Di mi se mai fu fatta alcuna cosa || Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.

-- mdwatts, Grand Master, >> 40000 posts
    RIP: August 25, 2004

***Funky stars and monkey bars***

This has been discussed before, and essentially it comes down to a lack of resources to manage different-language channels.

Peace,
    Brian
    Managing Editor
    JustLinux

Well- ok. Thanks for the reply at least... I didn't really catch any attention, though the time when I posted it could've been chosen a little more wisely.

What resources are there that are lacking? I would be willing to give what time I've got to lead something like this, and like I said, I have the skills for both French and German, and there are others who would be willing to help.

Can you give me some clues as to what resources are missing exactly? I also suggested that it be only one channel for the reason of more efficient management. You can then have a few (2 or 3?) moderators for the diff. languages. Subject headings must have the language as the first word.

It doesn't seem that hard, but if it would just be too much of a pain for you, I guess I understand. After all, it's not like the site is doing poorly<edit> EVENTHOUGH IT'S </edit> just in English...

Peace
    Last edited by Rinias; 09-21-2004 at 05:50 PM.
    Di mi se mai fu fatta alcuna cosa || Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.

-- mdwatts, Grand Master, >> 40000 posts
    RIP: August 25, 2004

***Funky stars and monkey bars***

While it's the moderators that we would really need, there is also the fact that we would likely have to provide foreign-language controls. Plus, even if we get the moderators, assigning them on a volunteer would be difficult, since not every moderator would be able to read every post--something we have now.

Peace,
    Brian
    Managing Editor
    JustLinux