I hate my professor - teaching C over C++

Thread: I hate my professor - teaching C over C++

I hate my professor - teaching C over C++

Well, after going through intro courses or CS, we are finally starting to do some real stuff, here's my schedule for this semester (junior year)

Organization of programming languages

Mathematical methods and foundations for computer science (touring machine etc)

Assembly

User GUI design

web applications and development

Pretty nice semester altogether, looks to be pretty easy except for the math class.

And the organization of programming languages. For anyone who doesnt' know, after you learn your intro language (java most of the time these days), and you learn all the basics of programming, you eventually get a class like this that teaches you a bunch of languages really quickly, using intuitive things. And teaching syntax things like BNF notation etc.

Whatever.

So our prof I guess used to teach C, C++, lisp/scheme, and prolog, with the intro courses teaching java.

So this year he cuts out C++, and I'm ripped. C, lisp, and prolog. Sure C has lots of value in linux programming, but man this sucks, cuz C++ has a lot of different OOP things than java.

PLUS, the prof didn't list a book for the class for book purchase, and on the syllabus there's FOUR books listed. We aren't actually using them though, they are just reference, so I can go just get an ebook and save money, but still ;(

This sucks , I wanted C++ in my multiple tens of thousands of dollars college education.

</rant>

why did you post here? why not the hot thread?

BTW, its the same topic there too -- and its hilarious.

Oh, you can copy the contents here and post there, then delete your post above and the thread will close.
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

erm, you aren't talking about "stupidest thing a prof has said in class are you?" He hasn' said anything stupid, it doesnt' really belong in that post

we don't care -- there are many instances of other stupidities there -- after all its not too far away
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

All I can say is reading about experiences like this make me warm and fuzzy all over because it reminds me that I spent my hundreds of thousands of dollars of education money on beer and I do feel vindicated.

Humor aisde... F**k 'em. Learn C++ on your own. It's your life and if you want something bad enough you should go for it. Commit or be prepared to eat s**t.
    "I know where you're from but where do you belong?"

Courses seem to be the same everywhere, they don't follow any kind of logic. I did a degree scheme called 'Computer Systems Engineering', and yet in the final year when the modules are worth the most they throw in a module called 'Engineering Management', which on the face of it sounds dull but not too bad. It turned out to contain 50% Law and 50% Accounting. I HATE accounting. Why the hell would I want to learn law and accountancy!?!?
    Nevermind, it's what, a few months of annoyance which in the great scheme of things isn't too bad. Though it's easy for me to say that now I don't have to put up with it! lol
    If you remain calm while those around you panic, you probably haven't realised the seriousness of the situation!

they throw in a module called 'Engineering Management', which on the face of it sounds dull but not too bad. It turned out to contain 50% Law and 50%
    Most degree programs will have in their final year, what they call "Management" courses. These are designed to give you a base of knowledge in case you start moving up in your field and become part of the administration/management. They do this in technology and health fields especially since most of the previous years have concentrated on theory and practice.
    The accounting can be very important if you ever find yourself in a position of making budget decisions. At least you will know the terminology and perhaps some of the basic practices of accounting.
    I was resentful when I had to take similiar courses, but as I moved up in my career, I am grateful that at least I know what the heck people are talking about when budgeting is discussed.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard