Amazing: people throw away Linux boxes! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazing: people throw away Linux boxes!

Just found two computers in the last month within 20 ft. of my house in the trash. I love the time of year when all the college kids are moving in/out and throwing stuff away. Now I have an OpenBSD box, and another waiting for another BSD variant.
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." -Albert Einstein

diminishing.org - Screenshots and other random stuff.

A school nearby periodically does a "junk sale" - I must've picked up about 3 266Mhzes from there for the total of £10
    Registered Linux User #325947

Check out Feather Linux, my distro.
    (Yes, it's shameless self promotion, deal with it )

Originally posted by CptKrf
    Well, we have a building about 50 by 50 feet stacked from floor to ceiling with who knows how many hundred or thousand machines from 800 mhz down to old 66 mhz 486s - mostly working - complete with monitors, mice, keyboards, speakers and ethernet cards. Oh, and by the way, about two hundred 10 and 100mb hubs (not 10/100). And cables-patch and adapter. Plus, how about a hundred or so Deskjets and a few scanners. If you have a big dolly, 10 or so gigantic 400mhz Dell and HP raid-5 scsi servers, 6 drives each with scsi tape drive. 80 or so copies of C++ builder still in the celophane, God knows how many copies of VB 4, Turbo pascal, Turbo C, Delphi... On and on...

CptKrf
    Sounds exactly like a place that the company I'm currently working for has. I've grabbed a couple machines from there for myself. One, that is currently my router/file server is dual p2 350. Another is dual capable p2 233 but only had one proc and a bad fan on that one. Best find was a wide screen crt(28" i think) that is capable of 1900x1600 @ 100hz. It's great but unfortunately to dark for gaming - that's part of why they got rid of it, it's too old for warranty and the guy they got it for has bad eyesight and needed large characters and high contrast. I kinda wanted to get rid of this monitor but shipping would be to much even if I could get the thing out of my house(it's a heavy bastard.)
    Last edited by SeT; 08-31-2004 at 01:59 PM.
    Have you ever thought that while you're killing time, time is returning the favor?

This thread has turned out to be pretty cool.

I hope to get some more cool stuff, Ill just keep my eyes open. What I need now is a serial - PS/2 mouse adapter, does anyone happen to have one that they have no use for? (London, UK here.)
    Reg. Linux user #365381

AMD K5 100mhz, 1GB HDD, 64MB RAM
    Debian 3.0

Little update, I went over my girlfriends' friends house, picked up 2 HDD's, some IDE cables and a couple of cards. Oh, and some RAM.
    Reg. Linux user #365381

AMD K5 100mhz, 1GB HDD, 64MB RAM
    Debian 3.0

A buddy of mine used to work for a large tech company, and he used to get free stuff all of the time because it was cheaper to junk older working stuff then recycle it, he picked me up a 22" CRT display and it works great
    and thanks for the links HC, I also like to recycle working parts from my old boxes when I get new ones & this helps keep the cost down but you can't beet free
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

I'm telling you...

Everybody that wants to get rid of stuff should be offering it in Hardware Trading. If you don't want anything for it, just charge for shipping. I'm sure TONS of people here would have uses for boxes in their teens, like P100-233's and the ilk.
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.