Help me Jesus...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me Jesus...

Help me Jesus...

hehe!!

Man!! I'm working in a Windows environment.
    (That should say enough, but...)

I'm going to a CheckPoint/ZoneAlarm seminar tomorrow. So, I went to zone labs .com and there was a link to a thing called PestPatrol. I got to looking at that and started thinking about somehow clumping PestPatrol and AdAware and SpyBot and my Norton Antivirus scans into a weekly 'job' or something and then I looked at my Slackware machine sitting there idly and thought to myself... "Help me Jesus..."
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

That's ok, I'm looking forward to tomorrow night when I get to figure out why Access queries to a MSSQL database stopped working through an IIS server after a domain change...talk about H E (double hockey sticks)!!

I'd take a PHP querry to mySQL on Apache anyday!

I hear 'ya.

School isn't that bad, but I just wouldn't work in a windows environment. I'm serious. I'm not that devoted to the IT field to keep plucking away at it in such conditions.

I'd rather ... stock shelves or detail cars or ... dunno ... do anything. Working in a windows environment isn't exactly conducive to my mental health and well being.
    LINUX OR BUST!!

But that's just me.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

Originally posted by sasKuatch

I'd rather ... stock shelves or detail cars or ... dunno ... do anything. Working in a windows environment isn't exactly conducive to my mental health and well being.
    Been there, done that, never would do that again. I'll take having to work in a Windows environment and try and push for a change before that.

I feel for you bs_2003, I do. I am not as unlucky as you, I only work in a kludge environment (Windows Servers, Netware Servers w/ Linux on the way, Windows desktops, Mac desktops, Linux desktops).

Luckily we don't worry about firewalls yet, those are managed outside our county dept. But the Spybot, Norton scans can be a handful themselves.
    "Cluelessness - There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." -- Despair 2005 Calendar

"Life is pleasant. Death is Peaceful. It is the transition that's troublesome." --Isaac Asimov

GRRR!! darn unstable windows servers! everyday here something has happened to one of them to restrict me in some way. today i couldn't do my digital engineering lab cause the domain server got knocked outk, as did the webserver, and the backup servers......
    -------------------------------------
    blobaugh
    lobaugh.net

All you ever need to know about Samba at O'Reillys (Online book)
    DSL Linux in your pocket.
    Need help choosing a distro? Distro Chooser
    My Screenies
    Table of Windows equivalent software on Linux
    Linux Games from Windows

oh, now those computer club jerks in my school are playing with something called gpedit.msc

I dunno if I should kill them or what
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Re: Help me Jesus...

Originally posted by bs_2003
    I got to looking at that and started thinking about somehow clumping PestPatrol and AdAware and SpyBot and my Norton Antivirus...
    ...and HijackThis, and CWShredder, and VX2Finder, and Stinger, and Shoot The Messenger, and Kill2Me, and.... well, you get the idea.

You wanna watch it with a few of those adware apps you mentioned; I remember having a bad experience with "pestpatrol". From what I remember it turned out to be more of a pest than the programs it claims to remove from your system. I think a lot of those anti-spyware/anti-malware apps turn out to have a lot of spyware built into themselves. I for one would never fully trust ZApro ever again...but that's another story. I think tho that generally Adware6 and/or Spybot search&destroy do a sufficient job. Just my two cents though
    Linux user #367409

I'm sorry, but the user jesus has not been active for nearly 2 years. It would probably take a miracle for him to post again!
    Last edited by freakmn; 09-04-2004 at 07:53 PM.
    Linux has changed me...
    I'm a GNU man now!

The real PestPatrol site is legit and trusted, but:

I think a lot of those anti-spyware/anti-malware apps turn out to have a lot of spyware built into themselves.
    True. This site keeps the best list of good/trusted sites and programs vs. the bogus/dodgy ones:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

The one aswer to spyware and adware and all that crap...Linux
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

I'm sorry, but the user jesus has not been active for nearly 2 years. It would probably take a miracle for him to post again!
    I'm going to add Jesus to my buddy list!
    Registered Linux User No. 321,742

"At Harvard they have this policy where if you pass too many classes they ask you to leave."
    ---Richard M. Stallman

Originally posted by DMR
    The real PestPatrol site is legit and trusted, but:

True. This site keeps the best list of good/trusted sites and programs vs. the bogus/dodgy ones:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
    another good list is http://www.spywareguide.com/product_list_full.php

thanks for your link !

keyshawn
    <a href="http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131047">JustLinux's Newbie Reading Guide</a>

Originally posted by sasKuatch
    I hear 'ya.
    LINUX OR BUST!!
    I'm pushing grocery cart and stocking shelves now, I would rather work in a windows environment. Now when I say windows I mean my live linux distro
    :wq

Hmmmm.... let's see....

Linux and free rent in a garage...

Or,

Windows and a $900/mo apartment with an attached garage....

Hmmmm.... let me think...
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.