Supporting Windows from linux

Thread: Supporting Windows from linux

Supporting Windows from linux

Do any of you support a Windows environment exclusively from a linux machine?

How?

I came across an article that I am looking for again discussing this exact topic, but can't find it. Anyone have a link to it?

If you do have a linux on your work desktop supporting Windows (AD, W2K servers, IIS,etc) what tools do you use to do so?

For example: PCAnywhere doesn't work in linux, so if you linux, how do you connect to PCAnywhere servers?

Is there a linux version of MMC?

My primary function is supporting MS right now, so I have to keep a Windows desktop, but how much could I do from linux ?

http://www.rdesktop.org/

and check out vmware, Ive never used these software but I think they do what you are trying to accomplish
    Only you can prevent forest fires

thanks...ill look at rdesktop..

VMWare rocks and we use it alot, but that is just like loading up a windows machine and running tools from that.

I am looking for for "native" linux tools to manage MS environment

With VNC and Samba, I've got all I need, really.

VNC works great-- I've written a batch file that says "Connect to Alex". When I expect someone to get ahold of me, I'll run vncviewer -listen on my FreeBSD desktop. Then, when they connect, their desktop will appear on my screen.

That, and I use FTP a lot, when I don't feel like fooling with Samba.
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

Same here. Maybe nmap for some more specific network troubleshooting and deinfestation.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

Originally posted by Alex Cavnar, aka alc6379
    With VNC and Samba, I've got all I need, really.
    Yup, That combo takes care of my needs as well.