No sound with SuSE 9.1 Personal

Thread: No sound with SuSE 9.1 Personal

No sound with SuSE 9.1 Personal

I just installed SuSE 9.1 Personal on my Dell CPi400 and have no sound. I have checked all of the settings and configurations that I can think of. Does anyone have any sugestions?

What sound card have you got? Have you loaded the module if it wasn't loaded for you? Do you have problems playing audio cds or mp3? What about both? Have you double checked that the sound isn't muted?
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)

I find that in most cases sound problems come when the module is built-in to the kernel and not a module. My sound card does NOT work when the module is built in. But when its module it works just perfectly. Hope this helps!
    Gentoo Linux. The only thing you'll ever need to know. Dont ask questions!

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, but how would I configure a module? I'm new enough to Linux that I'm not following you.

Also, how can I find out if the module is build into the kernel?

I am running a Dell laptop, and so the card is a Dell too for sure. I have no way of knowing what model it is though.
    Last edited by powderhound1976; 09-27-2004 at 04:23 AM.

Do "lspci" in a console. This will list all the pci devices. It should show you what type of sound chip (not the brand of sound card) you have. Then go to www.alsa.org and look through the sound chip/card matrix and find out the name of the module. Once you find out the name of the module, it's probably best to use Yast to see if it can load the module you need.
    Some common abbreviations you might find in "lspci" are cs (crystal sound), emu or sb (soundblaster), realtek (realtek sound chips). If you have trouble, paste the output of lspci in your post and we will see if we can get it working.
    You also might try "alsaconf" in a console as "su" or root, not sure if it will work with Suse though. It is an automated setup program for alsa sound.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard