Network install of debian freezes

Thread: Network install of debian freezes

Network install of debian freezes

I have been attempting to install debian on a compaq laptop (486 50MHz, 16 MB RAM, 2GB HDD, base station with EEPRO ethernet card). The bios doesn't support booting from CDROM and even if it did, the laptop has a CDU31a drive. So I had to make the floppies. All 6 of them. I go through the install procedure, setup the CDU31a and the ethernet card but when I got to do the base install, it doesn't want to recognize the CDU31a and when I do a network install, the system locks up after downloading the "release" something or other (no CTRL+ALT+DEL, etc). I know I'm setting up the network and CD drive with the right parameters because I am using the same settings I used for Redhat 6.2.

Is there anything I'm missing? Is there any way to get the CDROM drive to read during install? Does the drive read CDR's? Why does the network install freeze? From what I remember, I installed redhat without this many problems but I wanted to try a debian install.

Thanks!

In broad strokes, here's what I would do

Instead of downloading and burning the network install CD, download and burn the first Sarge direct install CD.

Make a standard boot floppy, and use it to install the base system from the CD

edit the /etc/apt/sources.list to link with appopriate mirrors online

use tasksel to request a desktop install, and any other big groups of programs you might want to install

from that point, you can select individual packages from the list at debian.org, and download and install them with apt-get, which will compute dependancies automatically.

I've never done this approach with Sarge (used the net-install CD) but I did it with Woody and I was amazed and delighted with the results.

I didn't go into any of the details, cause maybe you know them and I've got to go out for a while. If you need to know more, I'll help you if I can.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 10-04-2004 at 10:51 AM.

I guess I wasn't too clear. I did attempt to install Woody from the direct install CD not the network install CD but when I select to install from CD, I get a "could not mount CDROM" error so I was trying the network install from floppies. That leads me to believe that the drive doesn't read CDRs. Unless there is something special I need to type at the boot: prompt to get the CDU31a running? I assumed that it was installed when I selected it as one of the modules and entered its cdu31a_port=<ionum> statement. Is this the case?

Once I have a base install, I pretty much know what to do, but I don't install from scratch very often so my technical skills there are lacking...

Thanks!
    GGF

Hmmm. I have no experience with laptops and don't even know what a CDU31a is. So I may have outlived my usefulness here. What sort of media did you use to install RedHat?

And you're right about not being terribly clear. If you start a new thread with your CD mounting problems in the title, it might draw the attention of someone more qualified.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 10-04-2004 at 11:31 AM.

Just for your info, a CDU31a is a proprietary CDROM type brought out before IDE was standardized. Specifically it is a Sony brand that you connect to a soundcard or a special ISA card.

I installed Redhat using their network install floppy disk. From what I recall, there was only 1 maybe 2 disks. Having to run through all 6 disks for debian is VERY painful. Especially only to have it lock up during the download of the base install.

Thanks for your help anyways.

Wow, we're talking about an OLD laptop, no? Do me a favor and post in this thread if you get it working. I'm rooting for you.

Have you tried doing a Google search for "Debian CDU31a"?

LOL. I finally got it to work but I don't know if I could tell you exactly how! I went to the console windows ALT+F2 and activated it. I then mounted the drive manually from there using something like:

mknod /dev/cdu31a b 15 0
    mount -t iso9600 -o ro /dev/cdu31a /cdrom

I wasn't taking note of the exact order and I was trying to repair a failed install so I didn't have to put those other 4 disks in again!

Apparently (from my rudimentary understanding) the debian installer didn't mount the drive for me when I selected to install from CDROM. I assumed that it would and normally with a modern IDE drive it probably would have but for my old drive it didn't. Right now it is happily copying the files.

Hey, congrats! Today was also the day that I got Limewire working in Linux. This is one of the last few things I've really needed Windows for in the past, so today represents a big step in my march toward independence, maybe the last REALLY big step. If you check out my own thread in the forum:

http://justlinux.com/forum/showthrea...hreadid=133874

You'll see that it did not come easy!