fastest file manager?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fastest file manager?

fastest file manager?

Following on from the immensely popular "fastest graphical text editor", the next in our series probes the question "which is the fastest file manager?"

The trick is to find one with as many features as possible while maintaing a usable speed.

Konqueror and krusader are both far too slow, though the latter contains all the feature necessary of such a manager.

Midnight Commander is lightning fast, but very limited. For example, I need to able to use backspace to move up a directory, otherwise the time saved by its lightness is negated by the necessity to up-arrow to the .. and enter to go back up. Likewise, when presented with a list of files/directories, I want it to jump to the file/dir in question when I hit the first key of that file/dir.

Xffm seems to be just an explorer clone, and not a particularly fast one at that. If it doesn't have a dual panel display, it's no use to me.

Somewhere in the middle there must be a file manager that's responsive, feature-rich and stable. Ideally, something like Servant Salamander for linux is what I'm looking for.

Over to you...
    Athlon 1.2GHz, 768MB RAM, Mandrake 10 Official, KDE 3.3.0, kernel 2.6.3-13mdk, nVidia GeForce FX5200, chaintech 7AJA2 mobo with onboard sound.

MC midnight Commander.
    Linux reg. User # 298337

xwc, dual pane and does the backspace thing and first letter thing you want. very fast and good.

bad thing is that it has no anti-aliased text and is not updated

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xwc/

Re: fastest file manager?

Originally posted by pickarooney

Midnight Commander is lightning fast, but very limited.
    Fast Yes, Limited No............

the only limitation is between the Keyboard and the Chair..............

the only limitation is between the Keyboard and the Chair..............
    LOL, just thought i would show my appreciation for that line.

Cheers

Frankly, Konqueror has always been fast enough for my needs. Only time it ever craawled is when I browsed /dev and it tried to draw all those icons. That part could really use some optimization.
    Please use your spare cpu cycles to help a good cause (its free!!1)... http://folding.stanford.edu

BSD, Java, and Functional Programming fan.

trc is offline master of the arcane arts
    slacker

ROX-Filer
    very fast and once you find a nice icon theme it's really nice looking

I second the gentoo file manager.

It's fast, featureful, easy to use/configure, plus it uses only gtk+ (no gnome, no gtk2.0).

I've been using it for about 4 years now, never had one complaint.
    "Never ask the barber if you need a haircut."

Things could be worse...

YnJldHRfYnVydG9uXzgyQHlhaG9vLmNvbQ== (hidemyemail.net)

Use the MUTT Mailreader!

Some interesting responses so far, I'm trying them all out one by one. Thanks, and keep them coming
    Is gentoo manager usable with other distros, or should I take that as a kind of jokey response?

Just a make things a bit clearer:

- The PC is used by several people, with varying degrees of expertise, from barely any to quite experienced.

- Drag and drop is a must

- It should be possible to customise keyboard commands, so that the cursor jumps to the filename. In the case that there are two files beginning with S, super.txt and stupid.doc, I want it to jump to super.txt when I type SU and not first to stupid and then to terrible.mpg
    It doesn't matter if customisation is less than intuitive, I can do all that bit.
    (MC makes newbies cry)

- It has to have dual panes

- Tabs would also be nice, but by no means necessary.

- It has to be fast. Krusader takes up to a second to skip betwen directories on my old warhorse of a PC., for example. Konqueror is almost as slow.

So far, xwc looks ok, though lack of support for the mousewheel is a bt of a drag.
    Athlon 1.2GHz, 768MB RAM, Mandrake 10 Official, KDE 3.3.0, kernel 2.6.3-13mdk, nVidia GeForce FX5200, chaintech 7AJA2 mobo with onboard sound.

Originally posted by pickarooney
    Some interesting responses so far, I'm trying them all out one by one. Thanks, and keep them coming
    Is gentoo manager usable with other distros, or should I take that as a kind of jokey response?
    Gentoo the file manager is totally unrelated to the Gentoo linux distribution.

Gentoo is certainly fast and flexible but some details are annoying (I tried it several times, last time a few months ago. I do'nt remember details but some quirks annoyed me in the keyboard handling and the way file were selected).

Rox is actually very fast and has smart features not visible at first glance (wildcards selections, command line, ...)
    But it is definitively not dual pane.

At the end, I prefer a well rounded rox to a not so perfect dual pane.

P.
    'Scuse me while I kiss the sky

xfe - http://freshmeat.net/redir/xfe/33805/url_homepage/xfe -
    looks like one that you might be interested in using .

[I've never used it before, had problems installing with the required libraries, argh.]
    <a href="http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131047">JustLinux's Newbie Reading Guide</a>

Originally posted by Icarus
    ROX-Filer
    very fast and once you find a nice icon theme it's really nice looking
    I second that.
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

-Deep Thought, Jack Handey

Gentoo - nice and fast, but doesn't jump to files when you type their names (I haven't delved into the configuration yet, please inform/insult me if I'm wrong on this)

ROX - seems reasonably fast, the screenshots are tasty, but lack of dual-pane knocks it out a bit.

XFE - really looks like what I'm looking for, but I can't for the life of me install it.
    I've installed fox, libfox and libfox-devel and it still tells me it needs libfox when I try to install it. If anyone has a good idea of how to install this, I'm all ears.
    I'll keep trying with different versions of Fox etc. in the meantime.