Promoting Planeshift: a free MMORPG for Linux!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promoting Planeshift: a free MMORPG for Linux!

Thumbs up Promoting Planeshift: a free MMORPG for Linux!

Just want to get the word out there that there is a group of talented programmers hard at work developing a free MMORG for the Linux gaming community's enjoyment. Check it out at: http://www.planeshift.it/main_01.html The goal of this thread should be for the further discussion of Planeshift and other MMORGS for Linux

The trees all appear to be the same.

Other than that, it looks great.
    Good looking characters, great transparency, and even great icons.

Because of the trees, I gotta give the appearance an "A-". Awsome work for a free software project.

Yah, it certainly is a fantastic job (especially considering the fact that it is free software). If you are unhappy with the trees, why not mention that to the makers? Or, why not get in on the making of the game itself? Could be fun. Whatcha think?

Oohh..

I want it! I'm browsing the site now, and this is looking incredible! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I've been following the development of Planshift for about a year now. About a month ago I even applied as a volunteer music compositon member. I haven't heard a peep out of the folks at Planeshift, so they either didn't like what I submitted to them, or they're a bunch of lazy bungholes. I wonder which it is...<g>
    Not a Linux guru...yet.
    www.habibbijan.com

I've been following the development of Planshift for about a year now. About a month ago I even applied as a volunteer music compositon member. I haven't heard a peep out of the folks at Planeshift, so they either didn't like what I submitted to them, or they're a bunch of lazy bungholes. I wonder which it is...<g>

I really hope it is not the latter. Did you try e-mailing Luca Pancallo? Or perhaps posting on their forums? I'm sure they probably receive a decent amount of e-mails, so perhaps yours was overlooked or lost. It might be worth your time trying to contact them again (you might have to send a few e-mails out, explain your situation and such) and see if you get a reply. Just dont make rash judgements though. Its never good to assume. (It just makes an *** out of U and Me )

Cheers,

Gormless

When I submitted my application, I e-mailed it to info [at] planeshift.it. On the web site, this is listed as one of his e-mail addresses, so I presume he read it. Maybe it was lost or overlooked, who knows? I was at least hoping for a "thanks but no thanks" reply. Instead, I get nothing.

Maybe I will e-mail him again, since I really think I can help with the project. I'm not just some kid with a Casio; I'm working on my Master's degree in Music Composition. Heck, I'm probably one of only a handful of people in the world pursuing an advanced degree in music who also has such an intense interest in GNU/Linux.

Cheers,
    Not a Linux guru...yet.
    www.habibbijan.com

I've played about with planeshift a bit..

I was well impressed. Not that you could 'do' much when I last connected.

What's the financial plan if it's going to be free?
    Registered Linux User 299431
    Learning.

What's the financial plan if it's going to be free?
    No financial plan needed I guess. Its going to be upkept by the community and the volunteers who decide to work on it. However, you can always e-mail to find that out.

Cheers,

Gormless

Maybe I will e-mail him again, since I really think I can help with the project. I'm not just some kid with a Casio; I'm working on my Master's degree in Music Composition. Heck, I'm probably one of only a handful of people in the world pursuing an advanced degree in music who also has such an intense interest in GNU/Linux.
    Best of luck with that! They need people like you.

If you want to join a mailing list for Planeshift related news, go here: http://www.coollist.com/group.cgi?l=planeshift

Cheers,

Gormless

Something else I should add:

Planeshift is still in it's very, very early stages of development and you're lucky to be a part of it right now. As the game progresses, you'll be able to fight monsters, train your skills and work on your jobs. Just give it time- alot of time.
    So, I guess the point is, its still quite rough around the edges so to speak...

Greetings and Salutations Forum Users.
    I've been "following" Planeshift for just under 3 years now and am currently a moderator on the PS Forums. You can catch me over there by the same name.

habibbijan: Unfortunantly because the devs are on a voluntary basis they are devoting most of their free time to developing PS and rarely check the e-mails. If you really want to join the team the best way to do so is through IRC (irc.freenode.net #Planeshift) and talk to either Venge or Talad.

Vaseline: CB (Crystal Blue) which is the next release will be arriving soon (tm). Possibly within the next few weeks. CB will issue in a new gui and things such as combat and skills as well as a few more character models and monsters. And Planeshift is and always will be free.

Abd Gormless thanks for spreading the word.

I am not the official pr rep for planeshift , but I thought I'd add something to what Gormless had said... This is essentially what I told him on the Planeshift forums.

The person in charge of recruiting is Mr. Pancallo (aka Talad) but at the moment they are not accepting applications since they are very busy with the release near and all that. According to Talad, every aplication submitted has been filed away and he will look through them after the release. The reason they are not accepting applications is because it would slow them down to familiarize people with the code, and they don't have the time.

At the moment, at least one friendly dev is donating a bit of his time to give prospective team members a "task" to get them familiar with the code. Possibly more are doing this, but last night I got a task from aarobber...
    I am not sure if there is any equivalent for the art team, but the best thing for
    habibbijan to do would be listen to the music they have and put something together in a similar style and send it to the sound person (Ellarion, I believe) to get their opinion, but unless it really is earth-shaking, I doubt the developers would make an exception to their "no new team members until CB release" policy.
    The easiest way to get in touch with the developers and artists is in the irc channel #planeshift on irc.freenode.net

I am usually josePhoenix in that channel.

EDIT: Aendar: Beat me to it And you are masquerading as a full-fledged mod, when you are really just a "probationary mod" according to your forum title.

josePhoenix
    Last edited by josePhoenix; 10-19-2004 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks alot Aendar and josePhoenix for clearing this issue up! You guys at Planeshift are doing a fantastic job. Keep it up!