Ubuntu is amazing!

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is amazing!

Ubuntu is amazing!

I just discovered Ubuntu! I know everyone has their preference but this is worth a look for anyone who wants to try something different.

Ubuntu just rocks!! And I do not mean that lightly. I have been into Linux since Red Hat 8 and then moved around to Mandrake for awhile, then SUSE, and now Ubuntu. With each distro and as time has passed things have gotten better and better. I always thought if someone could come up with a distro that focused on the best of the best and just made it work then they would really have something...well this is something. This is the Linux desktop experience I always wanted. It is light, fast and picks the best software to install by default (one CD install). How in the world did a new distro like Ubuntu kick the snot out of well known distros like SUSE and Mandrake?

Hopefully Ubuntu will not give into pressure and try to be everything to everyone. I saw other posts where Ubuntu says they will continue to focus on quality...great job!

sounds good. does it have some package management stuff, or something like apt-get? can it use RPMs (i've got a old commercial redh hat linux program in RPM, it still installs in fedora, as well as mandrake)?

can i use it as a server?

Its actually kind of a hybrid distro. It has developers from Debian and Gnome. I never ran Debian before but I guess the deal is the release cycles are slow. Ubuntu will have faster release schedules and is currently based on a Debian Unstable branch and Gnome 2.8. They use APT for the package installation and its been the easiest thing to use. They also use the sudo command so you never log into a root account, but if you need to do root type things you use the sudo command before what you want to do. I think it is what Mac does(?). It takes some getting used to, but seems to work good!

The install is text based, but is so simple to use. It shows how creating something simple to use can be better than thinking it has to be a flashy GUI...and I used to think I needed a GUI!

They also have a Live CD if you want to check it out without committing.

It is worth the look. The site and forums are really good to. They want to be a true community distro and people seem to be really cool.

Ubuntu is awesome... just wanted to post a link... it's in my sig.
    Ubuntu

Registered Linux User #313600

I really like how they modified the Gnome panel at the top it adds that nice "Computer" menu which replaces actions. It looks much more usable. I actually have the patch that they applied to the gnome-panel source, I just am too lazy to go through and figure out what I need and what I don't.
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." -Albert Einstein

diminishing.org - Screenshots and other random stuff.

Yes, Ubuntu is a winner. I needed something for my girlfriend's laptop that wouldn't be a big hassle when using different wireless access points(at home or at school) and with Ubuntu its quite a bit easier than knoppix. Now everything on her laptop "just works". Synaptic is a great package management tool. sudo is a nice way of doing things too.
    BTW, does anyone know of a wireless profile manager for switching between different wifi points? Its easy enough to set it manually when she gets to school or comes back home, I was just curious to know if there is an easier way.
    Linux user #367409

I love Slackware and the way I configured it, but I want to download Live CD and try it out! Is this live CD? http://source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/...-live-i386.iso
    I just wan't to be sure!!! Maybe tonight I will be able to test it (if I will be able to run my cd-rw http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...5&pagenumber=1 )

Free cd's for those that are on dial-up.
    http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/user.c...&usernum=18776
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

I've run Ubuntu on an x86 desktop, and I like it. However, I could not get it to work on a B&W Powermac G3; the installation worked, but it had a kernel panic on first boot. It said it was missing dev/console.

I searched the Ubuntu forums and found this:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=156

Apparently, other B&W owners are having trouble as well. So...head's up for any other B&W G3 owners out there (both of you).
    Not a Linux guru...yet.
    www.habibbijan.com

I just got finished installing Ubuntu (this thread was my inspiration ) , and I've just got to say WOW so far. Everything seems to be working already, including my video system (which, if you've seen some of my previous posts, has been the source of most of my headaches)! i need to use it more to be sure, but I think I may have found my distro

Its fun to see other people as enthused as I am. One note on the Live CD is that it is based on a preview release so there might be bugs...

So if you think the Live CD is cool then you'll love the official release version because it gets even better. I'm sure the Live CD will be in official release sometime soon.

Plus, lets face it, Ubuntu is just a fun word .

Just remember.....that Ubuntu spelled sideways is ...Nutubu
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Downloading right now And for the first time ever I just experienced the thrill of getting 600 kb/sec! I live in the US, and started the download from the UN and somehow, managed for about 3 seconds to get 600 kb/sec! 2 megs in approx. 5 seconds

/home/earth/usa/south-carolina/charleston
    It's an interesting distro. I'm not real wild about its no-root system (using sudo etc.) and I'm not a big Gnome fan (Fluxbox and Windowmaker are more my speed) but it has its charms. I'm in the process of rebuilding a 'puter for my wife -- a Compaq Pressario I found on a dumpster-diving expedition -- and I'll probably put Ubuntu on it.

I think it's a good distro for someone to learn Linux with, even though it won't supplant Mepis on my rig.

If you update synaptic to include the universe section(just put a checkmark to select them) then you can install kde also.

and you can always change the whole root privelege thing if you want: >open root terminal>passwd...
    that way you can change the root password to one of your choice...though I think the unix gurus are gonna chastise me for making this suggestion.
    Linux user #367409