Ubuntu is amazing! - Page 16

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is amazing!

Ubuntu is "good"

Please take that as a great compliment. Thing is, i've only had it installed for about a week on my AMD64 machine.

I was happily surprised with it's setup (I had tried it once before and I wasn't too impressed... BTW this is Hoary x86_64). It nicely configured my hardware (that which is configurable by an installer) and even threw up my 1280x800 resolution with no question! That was a first! Naturally I had to hack a little when I installed nvidia, but I had saved the xorg.conf so that was a cinch.

The limited-ness of the setup can cause problems if one needs to be really specific, but on the other hand makes it an ideal newbie distro. Configurability is "lacking". I mean this in the sense of the programs in the menus, etc that are not there or the packages not installed on boot that are needed for manual configuration. The "lacking" comes from the fact that we are still constantly thrown back to the terminal to do things (not a problem for some, but enough to make me tell some people to not even try Linux- oh, that's only after they are praising Win. /offtopic)

ontopic

But it's only good because it's only a week old. I haven't had time enough to break it yet. I can't say if it will be as good as Slack. I still haven't decided if I like the way they set up the root account, though I will leave it to test it out a bit.

I hope just that it will serve as a distro where I can work and doesn't bother me. up til now it's performing flawlessly (except that it's 64, and the damn USB modem driver is 32 only!! I'm buying a new modem...)

That's all for now. Hope I'll be back to say that it's awesome!!!
    Di mi se mai fu fatta alcuna cosa || Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.

-- mdwatts, Grand Master, >> 40000 posts
    RIP: August 25, 2004

***Funky stars and monkey bars***

The limited-ness of the setup can cause problems if one needs to be really specific, but on the other hand makes it an ideal newbie distro.
    When you first start the setup, it does offer you the option of doing setup in advanced mode; this should have everything you need, try it.
    Linux user #367409

PSC 1350

When I installed the hpoj driver adding my printer was just a few clicks, and is "Just Worked (TM)". The only problem I have is being able to use the scanner part of my printer. As of now, sane doesnt support this machine, and there isnt a front end Ive found that does yet. Hopefully this will get solved, but if anyone found a way to use their scanner part of the HP PSC printers, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Glad to hear its getting closer. My Epson CX5400 wasn't supported either, but somehow with Ubuntu it works, including the scanner. Like I said my friends HP1250 3n1 works so I was hoping yours would work too. Like you, his did not work till he tried the hpoj driver. Do you think you need to uninstall whatever you did to get it somewhat working? Oh, but your using the Live CD aren't you? You still might want to check the Ubuntu forums, or ask for more assistance there.

actually I installed Kubuntu- I'm not using the Live CD anymore. I never had the HPOJ drivers installed, and until I did, Kubuntu didn't know my printer was hooked up. The scanning issue will be solved when a front end becomes available that will support HP's printer-scanner combo machines (PSC models).

ubuntu is alot better than alinux, that's for sure. . .

I put it on a Dell Latitude D600 and it detected everything perfectly- I can now go access point hunting around town with ubuntu!

I put it on my PC- same thing, except it don't run good in my car. . .

Love the Synaptec Package Manager

(in suse too! )

The scanning issue will be solved when a front end becomes available that will support HP's printer-scanner combo machines (PSC models).
    Sorry, not to beat this into the ground. That friends computer I was installing Ubuntu on has a HP1250 3-n-1 and his scanner works perfectly. Thats all I was trying to say. So it is possible with the PSC models...maybe just not the 1350, although it seems like it would basically be the same.

The PSC 1350 *IS* compatible with the HP driver. Ive seen it work under Suse. One method you can use is to choose the "1300 series" driver instead of the more specific "1350 driver". IIRC the 1350 is the same as the 1210 except its blue and has a card reader (dont expect the card reader to work under Linux, however). This is a common workaround for many of the PSC series printers under Suse. Try it under this distro.
    Last edited by timothykaine; 04-15-2005 at 08:01 PM.
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

hi,
    i didn't read all the 16 pages of post - maybe i should - but i want to know something,
    can i use hebrew with ubuntu?
    it sounds just the distro for me, one for an end user, but i looked in the ubuntu site and didn't found any reference to dual lenguage, or hebrew version, maybe didn't looked well enough....,

"We’re talking about aliens here, general.
    All they do, all they think, all their motivations are,
    by definition...
    .... alien. "

Yes, you can choose hebrew in the installer. Once it's installed, you'll have to install the hebrew language packs, and possibly play with the keyboard layout settings a bit. The packages are:

language-pack-he
    language-pack-he-base
    language-support-he
    Adam

Dell Inspiron 600m
    P-M 1.6 GHz | 512MB RAM | IPW2100 Wireless | CDRW/DVD-ROM | 40GB HDD

so, then, leave behind mandrake 10.1 with KDE and give the jump to the easy ubuntu?
    Gnome is so extrange....

yhotg

by definition...
    .... alien. "

That's something only you can decide for yourself. Try the live cd. You can install packages through synaptic on it while it's running, so you can test out the hebrew support.
    Adam

Dell Inspiron 600m
    P-M 1.6 GHz | 512MB RAM | IPW2100 Wireless | CDRW/DVD-ROM | 40GB HDD

and what about kubuntu?
    it's so great as ubuntu?

by definition...
    .... alien. "

Depends on your perspective...

#98 +(5627)- [X]
    <ikkenai> i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers
    Courtesy of bash.org

I really really hope kubuntu/ubuntu are so great as they say, that they r the best thing under the sky because it's taking me a lot of pain to install it.
    a really lot of pain.
    How is posible it didn't come with an img file to make a bootdisk to install from hard drive?

yhotg

by definition...
    .... alien. "