do you pay for free software? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: do you pay for free software?

I donated a good amount of money to Firefox and Gentoo. I think that they should all get a tip. Working for free doesn't mean they shouldn't pick up a few bucks here and there. I mean, you tip the Coffee people, right?
    by Coffeeman.

Didn't you just post begging for money since you are so poor??

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...hreadid=134878
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

Originally posted by fatTrav
    you forgot about beer and books
    Ah, but I don't turn 21 until the 25th of this month, so for the moment I have to mooch off of other people for beer

One way or another I'm definitely getting a stuffed Tux for my desk. I don't know if my family will be able to find one for my birthday though, so maybe I'll just have to get it myself.

LOL@hard candy, I seem to recall reading that not long ago too

Originally posted by cybertron
    Ah, but I don't turn 21 until the 25th of this month, so for the moment I have to mooch off of other people for beer
    And you thought you were short of money now.

Addendum to previous post:

I have just purchase Slackware. Have to keep the support for linux moving.
    "Cluelessness - There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." -- Despair 2005 Calendar

"Life is pleasant. Death is Peaceful. It is the transition that's troublesome." --Isaac Asimov

when

I finally began using Linux every day (finding a distro I liked) I began feeling a bit guilty fo not having paid anything for the stuff I was being productive with. So, I joind their fee based subscription service.

Ive done that type of thing a couple of times.

I buy boxed sets too sometimes.

I also pay people to administer a server when something is beyond my expertise or I can not afford the time to do it myself.

The nice thins about free software is that you can determine its value to you based on experence, not the claims of the sales department before you ever use it.

See the new Dell sale offer? $299.00 for a basic desktop system WITH WIN XP HOME EDITION. A pc that cheap with WIN XP???? If thats not a monopolistic then what is?

Mike
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

a dell laptop for 299? where?

no no no

a desktop silly.

m
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

sorry, i was all excited there for a minute....

silly bunny!

I

well...

I'm not 100% sure it helps the developers acquire new equipment and so forth, but....
    I always buy merchandise (coffee cups, t-shirts, stickers, etc...) from the official website of the project I'm trying to support.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Re: well...

Originally posted by je_fro
    I'm not 100% sure it helps the developers acquire new equipment and so forth, but....
    I always buy merchandise (coffee cups, t-shirts, stickers, etc...) from the official website of the project I'm trying to support.
    i'm sure it helps out a bit. i mean, they're going to make a profit on that type of stuff. i've got a number of good nerd t-shirts in my closets...though I must admit they were given to me by the companies. but hey, i get around so i guess it is good advertising.

This site has cool ASF shirts and stuff: http://www.cafepress.com/meepzor/230676
    "You are not beaten until you admit it." --George S. Patton

"Reading and learning, it's what linux users do"
    "Double clicking" doesn't work on Linux

G4L | ZSH - The Z Shell

Apple OS X, FreeBSD, and Smoothwall

I have no problem paying for software, even bought my first versions of red hat boxed sets( 6, 7, 7.1, 7.2 8.0 and 9.0) as well as mandrake boxed sets. and have purchased some cdr's when I did not have broadband. I have donated to k3b, firefox, kde and I buy games that are linux installable. I feel as though I do my share, although, I do think I could do more some times. but there is only so much to go around.

Although I must be honest, i have spent much more on MS based crap, if I could only get that money back, I would gladly donate it to many projects

BaVinic
    Registered Linux User #285413
    ----------------------------------------

Shut the Gates, and Close the Windows
    Linux has arrived

i have never payed for/donated money for any free software that i use. though there is some software that has become invaluable to me and lately i have been thinking i need to support the developers more
    -------------------------------------
    blobaugh
    lobaugh.net

All you ever need to know about Samba at O'Reillys (Online book)
    DSL Linux in your pocket.
    Need help choosing a distro? Distro Chooser
    My Screenies
    Table of Windows equivalent software on Linux
    Linux Games from Windows

as a windows admin i dont get to many chances at free (as in beer) software. at my current job the first thing i did was removed anything with the name NORTON on it, at due to my success with AVG antivirus(free) edition, i switched the company to their corporate version, instead of sticking with the free one. we also switched from ms outlook and out express to thunderbird and i got them to donate to the mozilla project.
    ever little bit helps

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

I had to buy a the licence key to make my demo version of turboprint the full version(couldn't get my canon i850 working otherwise). Not sure if that counts though.
    I would love to be able to donate a few bucks now and again or just outright buy my distro's vs. downloading them for free, but I'm also facing hard times moneywise right now. Both of us(spouse and I) are college students; she had to take out OSAP to pay tuition(student loan). We both also work to support ourselves, and I also have previous student loans I'm already paying back. So yeah, life is tough. Would like to be able to pay a little, but its too hard right now. Meanwhile I think I do a lot to promote open-source by talking to anyone who will listen about it. Hopefully creating some awareness in the community can bring a few more people aboard which will support the open-source community in the long run.
    Linux user #367409

haven't yet, but it's changing

As of yet, I have not; since it's not as easy for a teenager to buy something online than it is to go to a store and buy it.

But, since Christmas time is coming up, I'm asking 'santa' to help donate some of the money to mozilla, azureus, and maybe a few other ones on the linux front, in my name, for appreciation of the software.

When I can [time-wise and ability of skill], I try to submit bug reports, and help give back in that sort of way..
    <a href="http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131047">JustLinux's Newbie Reading Guide</a>

I don't pay for free software b/c it eliminates the purpose of free software. RMS started the free software movement so that people wouldn't have to pay for software. He wanted to create a community of programmers that programmed for the fun of it.

Nobody was ever meant to make a living off of free software, and anyone asking for donations for software or begging for money b/c of their contributions to the free software movement is retarded.