do you pay for free software? - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: do you pay for free software?

Originally posted by fill
    And might i add this was all in bold. I'm not sure what this means, but it seems to be an attack on me. I won't respond to this because I can't think of anything nice to say to this.
    Actually, i believe this was directed to you and I as we were bantering back and fourth, again, don't take it personal.

I don't think you will hurt yourself with your computer, and no I don't see the humor in this post, but I'll take your word for it that you're joking. You're probably good at computers, and I won't say anything else in mean spirits.
    Trust me, there is nothing you could possibly say that would in anyway offend me, i am just too old to give a damn But this thread is getting old and out of hand, so maybe it would be good to just move on. you have your opinion, and I have mine,. we don't have to agree. it's normal.

BaVinic
    Registered Linux User #285413
    ----------------------------------------

Shut the Gates, and Close the Windows
    Linux has arrived

As soon as I have enough saved up for my 'dsl' contrib I plan to buy this:
    DSL 128MB preinstalled thumbdrive
    It may cost just a tad bit, but I really like what they have done.
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

Originally posted by gehidore
    As soon as I have enough saved up for my 'dsl' contrib I plan to buy this:
    DSL 128MB preinstalled thumbdrive
    It may cost just a tad bit, but I really like what they have done.

Now that is sweet!!

BaVinic

Linux has arrived

Originally posted by BaVinic
    Now that is sweet!!

BaVinic
    If they didn't mark up their mini ITX parts by ~200%-300% I would buy my mini ITX, that I'm still planning, from them. A small mark up is ok with me but almost 2-3 times the retail value is a little much to ask. I'll dontate, but I wont be completely ripped off.
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

originally posted by Bavinic
    Now that is sweet!!
    I'm saying, right.

originally posted be the G-man
    If they didn't mark up their mini ITX parts by ~200-300% I would buy my mini ITX, that I'm still planing, A small mark up is ok with me but almost 2-3 times the retail value is a little much to ask. I'll dontate, but I wont be completely ripped off.
    Cool man, right on.
    Install linux, Problem solved :8 :7

Originally posted by gehidore
    If they didn't mark up their mini ITX parts by ~200%-300% I would buy my mini ITX, that I'm still planning, from them. A small mark up is ok with me but almost 2-3 times the retail value is a little much to ask. I'll dontate, but I wont be completely ripped off.
    Yeah I see what you mean, that's ok, i'll buy from newegg<dot>com I'm sure I could find it a little cheaper, but I like the service ( no, this is not an advertisement for them )

BaVinic

Linux has arrived

Originally posted by BaVinic
    Yeah I see what you mean, that's ok, i'll buy from newegg<dot>com I'm sure I could find it a little cheaper, but I like the service ( no, this is not an advertisement for them )

BaVinic
    Actually, it''s pretty hard to beat NewEgg's prices on a lot of stuff. Sometimes you can, but a lot of times I've found that even used or refurbished stuff is more than their new stuff.

I'd love to get a USB drive with Linux on it, but I can't justify it because I've already got an MP3 player that I use as a thumb drive. Some day though...

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    Getting in on this a bit late....been busy lately...

To the OP:

It has always seemed reasonable to me to try any distro/program for free. What you see is what you get.

I'm an absolute fanatic about paying for what I keep and use. Those folks did me a huge favor, and they deserve--at minimum--my financial participation.

Books, Clothes, Distro Box sets..I'll buy them all..I have no problems giving money for something I enjoy using.
    Duct Tape is like the FORCE,
    It has a light side and a dark side
    and keeps the universe together

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    I need to get back here more often...so busy lately.
    Originally posted by Hellion
    Books, Clothes, Distro Box sets..I'll buy them all..I have no problems giving money for something I enjoy using.
    Originally posted by jefro
    ...do you tip waiters and bartenders?
    Those two comments are interrelated, and were the genesis of a very warm thread (elsewhere, of course) about 15 years ago.

Suffice it to say that I return for refund any product that isn't worth keeping and using, or doesn't perform as advertised--many times at great trouble to myself.
    I also refuse to tip more than 2-cents (US) for crappy service at restaurants.

Originally posted by fill
    I don't pay for free software b/c it eliminates the purpose of free software. RMS started the free software movement so that people wouldn't have to pay for software. He wanted to create a community of programmers that programmed for the fun of it.
    Interesting...opinion...to say the least. I'm sorry to say that you have no understanding of Stallman's philosophy and, thereby, stand at-odds with the Open Source Community.

Please read: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html to see RMS contradict you in his own words.

Does paying for a mag count? I use mostly software I find on their discs decause other than what linux format review in their mag, I don't know any "trusted" sites. So I pay for gigs of software and a magazine. That's about it, I don't have any method of paypal donating soo... I don't know :P
    "Getting information from the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." - Mitchell Kapor

Originally posted by acid45
    Does paying for a mag count? I use mostly software I find on their discs decause other than what linux format review in their mag, I don't know any "trusted" sites. So I pay for gigs of software and a magazine. That's about it, I don't have any method of paypal donating soo... I don't know :P
    Definitely, because by purchasing their magazine you are spreading the awareness of linux and other companies or small businesses will look at that same publication and might even invest in it.
    Only you can prevent forest fires

Cool, I just got a new one today, I had to go to two stores, it was sold out at the first one and it just hit the shelves here yesterday. About 10 copies total. I have almost every issue since 31, which actually says it's 30 and 31, on the spine of the mag. Sept 2002 issue, slackware 8.1 was included It's my all time favorite magazine.
    "Getting information from the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." - Mitchell Kapor