Is Gentoo for noobs?

Thread: Is Gentoo for noobs?

Is Gentoo for noobs?

Is this Gentoo good for Noobs or is Gentoo one of those more complicated version of Linux

Wherever the pink elephant or the booze lead me
    Originally posted by Eejay
    Is this Gentoo good for Noobs or is Gentoo one of those more complicated version of Linux
    From what I understand, using Gentoo will really give you a great understanding of yer pc. For an easier install, I used Vida Linux and it gives you stage 3 gentoo install. It uses a graphical installer which was very easy to use. Might be worth a look. Just my $.02 worth.

HTH
    -Z
    "As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something."
    - Hagar the Horrible

The three wise monkeys' names are Mikazaru (Hear no evil), Mizaru (See no evil) and Mazaru (Speak no evil).

Originally posted by Eejay
    No, I would never recommend Gentoo to a person that knows nothing about Linux.
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Originally posted by serz
    I second that.

Originally posted by serz
    Agree!

And especially in view of your other post here that gave me the impression that you had landed on something real easy to install - and getting phone support.
    Linux User #181509

* It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on this planet
    has ever come up with the phrase "as pretty as an airport" *
    -- Douglas Adams --

Thanks
    I already purchased SUSE Linux 9.2 professional edition brand new direct from the factory.
    I usually do not buy second hand but made an acceptation and decided to get a copy of Gentoo to test it out on the laptop, just for kicks, then when I get used to SUSE Linux 9.2 professional, I will install Gentoo on my main computer.
    Thanks for the replies

I asked this question in a thread that had already been started, and then a Mod moved it here. I apologize if the Comment was not in the right area to begin with.

I started off with Gentoo, and loved it (still do) - I'd been reading about linux for 2 or 3 months intensively though. Like, I new how to compile a kernel before I'd ever typed a "ls"-command
    Anyway, if you want to learn a lot and want a capable system that will require a capable user (which you will become if you keep learning and trying) you could use Gentoo - it won't work perfectly immediately, you'll always have little problems with X and kernels and stuff like that when you start off, but you can generally do what you want.
    If you can follow a guide and have some basic knowledge, you can install Gentoo - you learn a lot in the process, but you might not be able to use the system unless you understand what you are doing, instead of just doing it.
    Sam
    I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
    OpenBox 3 | FVWM Crystal | FreeBSD | Linux Apps | Bash scripting | Perl | Python | My Site