Firefox weirdness

Thread: Firefox weirdness

Firefox weirdness

When I start FireFox, I hit the drop down on the URL entry space. The very first time I do that, the list drops down and then goes back up almost instantaneously. I have to click on the drop down arrow a second time. After that, it works normally.
    This only happens with FireFox. Doesn't happen with Mozilla or IE.

Just curious if anybody else has noticed that.

Edit: I also noticed that the current page being viewed no longers moves to the top of the drop down list like it does in Mozilla. Maybe there's an option setting for that.
    Last edited by bs_texas; 11-29-2004 at 07:09 PM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Re: Firefox weirdness

Originally posted by bs_2003

Edit: I also noticed that the current page being viewed no longers moves to the top of the drop down list like it does in Mozilla. Maybe there's an option setting for that.
    it's done that for a few releases now.. I don't think that's a bug....
    one by one, the penguins steal my sanity...

Registered Linux User#: 340703

I myself notice that it sometimes stops responding to my keyboard input. I just close it and reopen it and it works fine. Though, once it craashed, and I reopened it to find all my bookmarks gone. Not just new ones, but all of t hem. I'd file a bug report but it's happened only once and I can't (nor want to!) reproduce it. FF is defintely not without it's bugs/quirks but I still like it.
    Please use your spare cpu cycles to help a good cause (its free!!1)... http://folding.stanford.edu

BSD, Java, and Functional Programming fan.

Originally posted by CaptainPinko
    I myself notice that it sometimes stops responding to my keyboard input. I just close it and reopen it and it works fine. Though, once it craashed, and I reopened it to find all my bookmarks gone. Not just new ones, but all of t hem. I'd file a bug report but it's happened only once and I can't (nor want to!) reproduce it. FF is defintely not without it's bugs/quirks but I still like it.
    Do you notice this happening on sites with ads for Sun (such as justlinux)? I had a similar problem with the keyboard breaking until i disabled content from the offending source.
    Athlon 1.2GHz, 768MB RAM, Mandrake 10 Official, KDE 3.3.0, kernel 2.6.3-13mdk, nVidia GeForce FX5200, chaintech 7AJA2 mobo with onboard sound.

Originally posted by pickarooney
    Do you notice this happening on sites with ads for Sun (such as justlinux)? I had a similar problem with the keyboard breaking until i disabled content from the offending source.
    with AdBlock I disable damn-near all ads. I'm too poor (ie student) to buy anything so it's not like the sites are loosing money. no, it's seems a bit more random than that. it only happens after prolonged se and after having many tabs open. i'm guessing it's a C buffer thing of some sort.
    Please use your spare cpu cycles to help a good cause (its free!!1)... http://folding.stanford.edu

BSD, Java, and Functional Programming fan.

So, I'm browsing around at mozillazine forums and come across this.

"Still need further explanation (I'm not a Linux guy.. I'm forced to use it because that's the only thing avaiable at my school)"

-------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    I've never seen the first issue you mentioned.

The second issue is one I only noticed the other day, so I guess it doesn't bug me enough to do something about it.

I have a problem with downloading zipfiles from a website. Foxfire keeps freezing up, and I have to restart the browser, and find my way back to the page. I tried going slower, and that didn't help.

It's a big job, so it's worth the trouble to have the one-click downloading feature.

It occurs to me now that I didn't have that problem yesterday, when I was using Firefox in Kanotix instead of Sarge. I think I'm going to try booting Kanotix (a live CD Linux distro) and seeing if I can download the files without mishap, and copy the files to the hard drive.

Kanotix to the rescue (again)? Stay tuned!

YESSSSS! Kanotix did the trick. This was good experience, because now I know how to make the harddrive writable from a booted live CD distro.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 01-03-2005 at 05:52 PM.