Networking with two ethernet cards?

Thread: Networking with two ethernet cards?

Networking with two ethernet cards?

Here is the situation, and as I am a completly new to linux, it is beyond my scope of figuring it out.

I have three computers. Two I have hooked into the router for the net, and the other(an XP machine) I have hooked into a Redhat box(I know it is very old, but I have the "Bible" for it, so I can help myself with the more basic things, while keeping me learning Linux) that has two ethernet cards. OK?

Now, while on my Linux with the two ethernet cards, both cards read as active in the networking settings, but on the xp machine it says that the cord is unplugged. The cord is not physically unplugged, but the ethernet card on the linux box reads it as being active.

I imagine this is a fairly easy question, but still light years beyond me at this stage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you will need a crossover cable to hook between the redhat box and the xp box

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

thanks, just a couple more questions?

Thank you very much. I have gotten the crossover cable, and connected the computers.

Now, how do I go about making it so that from my Linux machine that I can access the xp machine and share files, etc from each?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I have been playing with redhat enough that I am feeling comfortable enough to be trying more topics.

Thanks again for all your help

1. im assuming the crossover fixed the no connectivity problem

2. you will need to setup file/print sharing on XP

3. install and conifgure samba on your RH pc

4. make sure they are on the same workgroup

5. i like a program called "swat" to configure samba it makes it real easy or you can do it by editing smb.conf.

google samba and swat

if you use aptget/yum/up2date they will all install samba and swat for you or RPMS are available.

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Thanks so much

Thank you very much. I'll start trying that now.

I set up something similar the other day, I find it easier to use konqueror for browsing shared folders etc.

smb://ip in konq should list all the available shares on your computer, you can also list all the active shares in a console by typing smbclient -L ip
    There is no emotion; there is peace.
    There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
    There is no passion; there is serenity.
    There is no death; there is the Force.

Probably another silly question..

OK, I am just starting back on this thing. I have Samba on my system(not configured yet), and the connection is showing now. I ran smbclient and it shows both network cards are up, with individual ip#'s.

The question is this - I have two cards, on one I want to access the internet through the router as per I have been doing. The second network card, is attached to the XP machine for my internal network. How do I differentiate between the two cards?

Say if I want to ping the internal network?

thnks all

Thats where routing and different subnets comes into the game...

Say What????

OK, subnets are the 255.255........ stuff, but what is routing?

How about a quick synopsis on it? Is this going to be a long project? I just wanted to watch movies on Linux man.... LOL!!

Will I be able to use the windows desltop on the Linux desktop when I am done? (I just think that is too cool on it's own)..