Problems pinging Active Directory hosts from Suse

Thread: Problems pinging Active Directory hosts from Suse

Problems pinging Active Directory hosts from Suse

Hello,

I have a Suse 9.1 machine that is joined to an Active Directory domain as a Samba server. Everything works great except for one thing. I cannot ping workstations via hostname or FQDN from the Linux machine that are in the AD DNS server. I can ping the workstations by IP address, and I can ping domain names outside of my network just fine.

If i use the host command or dig command with the FQDN an IP address resolved, if I don't use the domain name after the host name, an address is not resolved.

I have /etc/resolv.conf configured with the address of my windows name server and the domain to use. The only way I can get my linux machine to ping local hosts on my local network is by adding them manually to my /etc/hosts file.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on?

Thanks for any help/advice in advance.

Look in /etc/nsswitch.conf and see if you have a line that looks something like this:

hosts: files nisplus dns

If the hosts: line exists, it must have the dns keyword in it so your machine will know to go to the DNS server for name resolution.

If the hosts: line is not present, add it. Most machines will default to checking the DNS server if the hosts: line is not present so that shouldn't be the problem.

I may be mistaken but I think the dig command always requires a FQDN.
    In the dig command response, is it listing the DNS server you have configured in /etc/resolv.conf?
    If God hadn't meant for us to use GUI tools, there wouldn't have been a Xerox PARC.

Thanks for the input,

I do have the host line in my /etc/nsswitch.conf file and if I dig with the FQDN, the dig command is responding with the nameserver in the /etc/resolv.conf file.

However, I still cannot ping other machines on my local network......it is getting to be quite a frustrating little problem.

You might try putting the DNS keyword first in the hosts: line of nsswitch.conf. The order they are in is the order the methods of name resolution will be tried. That would ensure that DNS is tried first.

If that doesn't help any, I'd try using a packet sniffer such as Ethereal to see where the DNS queries from the Suse machine are going and why they are failing.
    If God hadn't meant for us to use GUI tools, there wouldn't have been a Xerox PARC.