Samba - cant connect to Windows PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samba - cant connect to Windows PC

Samba - cant connect to Windows PC

hello,

I have two machines, one a RH9.2 installation and the other a WIndows XP. I have samba v2.27 installed on my RH9.2

I have configured my /etc/samba/smb.conf file and I can access my windows PC(see shared directories, copy files from windows to Linux) from my Linux machine.

However, this is impossible in the reverse....as in though my Linux Machine appears on my Windows PC network neighborhood, clicking on it results in errors:

"\\LinuxBox is not accessibe. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."

I have created the same usernames and passes on both machines. What I want to achieve is to be able to copy/transfer files to and fro.....from either of the two.

Needs help
    Tokunbo

My first suggestion is to try to access the share by ip address via map network drive.

In Windows Explorer: Tools - Map Network Drive

Folder = \\ip address\share

It should then as for a username and password

Also make sure that you have converted unix users to samba users. Samba does not directly access unix users. They must be added by smbpasswd -a username.
    "Cluelessness - There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." -- Despair 2005 Calendar

"Life is pleasant. Death is Peaceful. It is the transition that's troublesome." --Isaac Asimov

hello Daedrus,

Yes, as you said, ive Mapped the Network drive \linux IP\share and this is the error that resulted"

"The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured: A device attached to the system is not functioning"

Pls note that I can browse the internet from both computers(desktop-Linux and Laptop-XP), individually. I also tried mapping the network drive from my Laptop-xp to another windows XP desktop shared directory. Yes I was able to connect to my other windows desktop.

so please, what could be the problem on my linux desktop......regarding the device error problem.

Tokunbo

Originally posted by Daedrus
    My first suggestion is to try to access the share by ip address via map network drive.

In Windows Explorer: Tools - Map Network Drive

Folder = \\ip address\share

It should then as for a username and password

Also make sure that you have converted unix users to samba users. Samba does not directly access unix users. They must be added by smbpasswd -a username.

Mind posting you smb.conf file?
    "Cluelessness - There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." -- Despair 2005 Calendar

"Life is pleasant. Death is Peaceful. It is the transition that's troublesome." --Isaac Asimov

hi,
    here it is:

# Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = KIMBA
    netbios name = Adrenaline
    server string = Samba Server
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*al
    l*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
    unix password sync = Yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 0
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    dns proxy = No
    printing = lprng
    browsable = no
    hosts allow = 10.129.128

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S
    read only = No
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775
    browseable = yes

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = Yes
    browseable = Yes

[lp0]
    comment = bigdawgPrinter
    path = /var/spool/samba
    read only = No
    hosts allow = 192.168.1.
    printable = Yes
    printing = lprng
    printer name = lp0
    oplocks = No
    browsable = Yes

[wallpapers]
    comment = wallpapers
    path = /usr/local/wallpapers
    read only = No
    browsable = yes

[music]
    comment = music
    path = /usr/local/music
    read only = no
    browsable = yes

[movies]
    comment = movies
    path = /usr/local/movies
    read only = no
    browsable = yes

[sharedfiles]
    comment = sharedfiles
    path = /usr/local/sharedfiles
    read only = no
    browsable = yes

thanks
    Toks

Mind posting you smb.conf file?

Okay, first verify that you have added your user to the smbpasswd file. (smbpasswd -a user) and also set the password for the user (if you want one).

Check you hosts allow line in global, not quite sure, but I think you need a . at the end (at least that is what I see on most host allows that aren't single system specific.

hosts allow = 10.129.128.

Check to see if the port is open for samba. nmap localhost should return at least port 139 if samba is up and running.

You might also try and create a new smb.conf file (backup the original of course) and simplify it as much as you can, probably only include homes as shares for now.

Also run testparm with your original smb.conf file. It will let you know if there are any basic problems with the conf file.

Let me know what you find with this. Sorry for the sporatic answers. It is too early here and I still haven't had enough coffee to think completely straight.

I don't think you need the browseable = no under [global]. I am trying to find out if this will make everything not browseable or not.
    Last edited by Daedrus; 12-09-2004 at 10:23 AM.

when you try to connect does it ask you for a user name and password?

it looks like a user problem

the smbuseradd is correct and obviously make sure the user you are adding to samba is a user on the machine.

http://www.samba.netfirms.com/addusers.htm

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

hello Daedrus,

- I have re-added my user to the smbpasswd file(smbpasswd -a...) I have also set the password for the user. I had created a user on my windows machine with a password. The same username and password were created on my Linux machine and ive added it to smbpasswd.

-I have modified smb.conf and my shares are only 'home' and 'sharedfiles'. I ran the testparm smb.conf command and no errors were returned.

- the commnd 'nmap localhost'returned :nmap command not found. I tried 'man nmap'........resulting in "no manual entry for nmap"

- I have also set browseable = Yes under [global]

Questions:
    Q1) WHat is the correct command for the nmap.......
    Q2) About the hosts allow, is this correct "10.129.128.1/16" where 10.129.128.1 is my default gateway.
    Q3) About the issue of users and passwords, heres what I have:

I did a Map Network drive using \\linux IP\share and the error is that the network path cannot be found.

pls assist.
    Toks

Okay, first verify that you have added your user to the smbpasswd file. (smbpasswd -a user) and also set the password for the user (if you want one).

Check you hosts allow line in global, not quite sure, but I think you need a . at the end (at least that is what I see on most host allows that aren't single system specific.

hosts allow = 10.129.128.

Check to see if the port is open for samba. nmap localhost should return at least port 139 if samba is up and running.

You might also try and create a new smb.conf file (backup the original of course) and simplify it as much as you can, probably only include homes as shares for now.

Also run testparm with your original smb.conf file. It will let you know if there are any basic problems with the conf file.

Let me know what you find with this. Sorry for the sporatic answers. It is too early here and I still haven't had enough coffee to think completely straight.

I don't think you need the browseable = no under [global]. I am trying to find out if this will make everything not browseable or not.

hello,

No, When I try to connect, it doesnt ask me for a username and password. Ierror:\\kimba is not accessible.....you might not have permission to us this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.....the network path was not found"

Pls note that using the command "useradd -d /home/folder -s /bin/false -n folder" returned the error "useradd command not found"

I also tried smbuseradd......to no avail

thanks
    Tokunbo

Originally posted by soulestream
    when you try to connect does it ask you for a user name and password?

it looks like a user problem

the smbuseradd is correct and obviously make sure the user you are adding to samba is a user on the machine.

http://www.samba.netfirms.com/addusers.htm

soule

im at work(no linux) nut try allowing the exact ip of your XP box in your hosts allow, just to see if a typo. i think they way you have it is correct, but check.

About the hosts allow, is this correct "10.129.128.1/16" where
    make sure your doing useradds and smbuseradds as root.

soule

ps..... are you running iptabels or any other firewall on the linux box that could stop it from conncecting?and im assuming kimba is the name of your workgroup for windows and linux.

edit shouldnt you be connecting to //adrenaline/share is kimba the name of your sworkgroup and server or just workgroup.
    Last edited by soulestream; 12-11-2004 at 01:10 PM.
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Hello,

allowing the exact IP of my XP box doesnt make a difference either....its still the same "network path cannot be found error"

Also, why is it that my "useradd" command doesnt work.
    At root, I do the command "useradd -D Kettle" and the error is "bash: useradd : command not found ". The same error occurs when I use "smbuseradd".....................

so the users Ive added to my linux machine were done through the startmenu/system settings/users and groups option and not through the command line...........perhaps this could be the root of the problem.

Nope, im not running any firewalls on my Linux machine for now.....and about "iptables" I dont know about that neither do I know how/if it is running.
    Pls how do I check/verify this?

Yes, KIMBA is the name of my workgroup for both XP and Linux machines.

heres my new smb.conf contents....i simplified it.
    # Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = KIMBA
    netbios name = Adrenaline
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    hosts allow = 10.129.128.1/16

[homes]
    read only = No
    browseable = no

[everyone]
    path = /data/mp3/
    read only = no
    browsable = yes

thanks for the assistance
    Toks

Originally posted by soulestream
    im at work(no linux) nut try allowing the exact ip of your XP box in your hosts allow, just to see if a typo. i think they way you have it is correct, but check.

make sure your doing useradds and smbuseradds as root.

soule

ps..... are you running iptabels or any other firewall on the linux box that could stop it from conncecting?and im assuming kimba is the name of your workgroup for windows and linux.

edit shouldnt you be connecting to //adrenaline/share is kimba the name of your sworkgroup and server or just workgroup.

Three things to try:
    1.) Remove the hosts allow IP Address from smb.conf
    2.) Make sure to set the correct permissions on the folder that you are trying to share.
    3.) Look in your logfiles for any clue of what is happening. You can run smbd with the d10 option, smbd -d10 to turn further logging. Don't run it this way all the time because it will fill up your logs fairly quickly.

Some other obvious things: Make sure that you restart samba after configuring smb.conf. Make sure that the smb.conf file that you are altering is the same that samba is using.

it looks like you server is named adrenaline. if that is correct, you show your are trying to connect to //kimba/share and you should be connecting to //adrenaline/share. that may help.

as far as commands not working. I know redhat 9.0 and later(i used mandrake before that) had a nasty habit of not putting all of the paths for commands in roots or users .bash_profile. you have to manualy eneter them. also when you su in redhat you know have to use su -l to switch because su does not load the path for root it keeps the users path for commands. im not sure why. redhat 8.0 may have had the same problem.

you may want to try SWAT to configure samba as it makes things alot easier to configure, get it working, then tweak your heart out. there are alot of tutorials on the web about using samba and swat.

btw from root you can run "ntsysv" and it will show you what services are running and lets you start and stop them at startup.

under homes you might try browesable=yes
    soule

if this doesnt help when i get home ill take a look at my file and see if anything else looks askew.
    Last edited by soulestream; 12-13-2004 at 06:08 PM.

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Also, why is it that my "useradd" command doesnt work.
    At root, I do the command "useradd -D Kettle" and the error is "bash: useradd : command not found ". The same error occurs when I use "smbuseradd".....................
    When you went root, did you type 'su' enter or 'su -' enter ?

The dash includes access to root's path.

edit: d0h - maybe i shoulda read all of soulestream's reply
    Last edited by MisterB; 12-13-2004 at 10:06 PM.

hi,

thanks, ive removed the hosts allow IP.....from my smb.conf. About the logfiles......the command smbd -d10 does nothing.....as in othing happens after I issue the command. Pls how do I locate the log files and know what is happening?

Tokunbo

Originally posted by mairving
    Three things to try:
    1.) Remove the hosts allow IP Address from smb.conf
    2.) Make sure to set the correct permissions on the folder that you are trying to share.
    3.) Look in your logfiles for any clue of what is happening. You can run smbd with the d10 option, smbd -d10 to turn further logging. Don't run it this way all the time because it will fill up your logs fairly quickly.

Some other obvious things: Make sure that you restart samba after configuring smb.conf. Make sure that the smb.conf file that you are altering is the same that samba is using.