Samba - cant connect to Windows PC - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samba - cant connect to Windows PC

Pls, I read something about firewalls in Linux,

I wont know if theres any firewall on my linux system. During my installation, I wasnt prompted for such.

heres whats in my /etc/sysconfig/iptables file
    :INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
    :FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
    UTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
    :RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT - [0:0]
    -A INPUT -j RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT
    -A FORWARD -j RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT
    -A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
    -A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 0:1023 --syn -j REJECT
    -A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 2049 --syn -j REJECT
    -A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 0:1023 -j REJECT
    -A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 2049 -j REJECT
    -A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 6000:6009 --syn -j REJECT
    -A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 7100 --syn -j REJECT
    COMMIT

does this have anything to do with my inability to connect....windows to linux, despite the fact that I can browse the internet on both, I can ping each PC from the other etc.

thanks
    Tokunbo

Execute this as root on your Linux machine to shutdown the iptables firewall:

iptables -F

Then try to access the Samba server from your XP machine.

If that works, you'll either need to modify iptables to allow the Samba traffic in or disable iptables all together.
    If you're on a home network, you really don't need a firewall and you can disable iptables. You can do this from the GUI utility that comes with RH9 that allows you to control what services start at boot up.

If you decide you need the firewall, do a search on "iptables and samba" on this site and you should find help on configuring iptables to allow Samba traffic in to your machine. It's a common problem and one that's been covered quite thoroughly on this site.

The reason you can see your Samba server from XP but can't access it is because Samba announces it's presence on the network using broadcasts. These are not blocked by iptables. However, when you try to access the Samba server from XP, iptables blocks the incoming Samba traffic and your connection attempt fails.

The firewall is usually installed by default when you install RH9. It's a very common problem for Samba not to work until iptables is either modified or shut down.
    If God hadn't meant for us to use GUI tools, there wouldn't have been a Xerox PARC.

guests

hey,

I had the same problem with my samba not too long ago....

I added some lines in. I'm at work right now and forget what all I added, but i know one was guests.

it was either....

guest ok = yes
    guests = yes
    guest = yes

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html

also, make sure to restart your samba server. in redhat it's "service samba restart" i think...

hope this helps,

Wes
    What the F$@k is the internet?

skimmed though don't if was addressed but amy way, what version of samba are you using, it sambe 2.0 and up i believe they did away with smbadduser and only use smbpasswd, also how are these computers connected togather on the network, switched, hubs, patch cable, and if you do a smbclient -L nameOfLinuxServer , is a masterr browser displayed, if so is it the xp machines or linux machines
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

i believe they did away with smbadduser and only use smbpasswd,
    thats right, forgot about that

use smbpasswd -a to add users to samba

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

I'm pretty sure if you just want guest access, you don't have to use the smbpasswd command.
    What the F$@k is the internet?

hi Cowanrl,

thanks for the info. I issued the command you gave and one shot I connected. I was prompted for a user and pass, and I saw the directory I shared on my Linux machine. Thanks so much.

So please, how do i "modify the iptables to allow the Samba traffic" as you stated. Refer to my earlier post of iptable file content.

Another thing.....now that my own PC can connect to my Linux machine, could I configure/allow access from another windows PC(on another workgroup)?

thanks sooooooooo much
    Tokunbo

Originally posted by cowanrl
    Execute this as root on your Linux machine to shutdown the iptables firewall:

iptables -F

Then try to access the Samba server from your XP machine.

If that works, you'll either need to modify iptables to allow the Samba traffic in or disable iptables all together.
    If you're on a home network, you really don't need a firewall and you can disable iptables. You can do this from the GUI utility that comes with RH9 that allows you to control what services start at boot up.

If you decide you need the firewall, do a search on "iptables and samba" on this site and you should find help on configuring iptables to allow Samba traffic in to your machine. It's a common problem and one that's been covered quite thoroughly on this site.

The reason you can see your Samba server from XP but can't access it is because Samba announces it's presence on the network using broadcasts. These are not blocked by iptables. However, when you try to access the Samba server from XP, iptables blocks the incoming Samba traffic and your connection attempt fails.

The firewall is usually installed by default when you install RH9. It's a very common problem for Samba not to work until iptables is either modified or shut down.

I am not an iptables expert. As I said in my last post, do a search on this site on "samba and iptables" or on "port 139" and you should find many existing posts on the subject. It's a subject that's been thoroughly discussed on this site in the past.

Sometimes when you try to connect to your Samba server from a PC that's not in the kimba workgroup it will work just fine. Just enter the username and password of one of the users you have created on your Samba server. It really depends on the version of Windows you are using.
    If you have trouble getting it to work, try including the workgroup name when you enter the username. It would look like this:

kimba\username

then enter the password.
    Last edited by cowanrl; 12-16-2004 at 09:21 AM.
    If God hadn't meant for us to use GUI tools, there wouldn't have been a Xerox PARC.