Overclocking AMD Athlon XP 2800+

Thread: Overclocking AMD Athlon XP 2800+

Overclocking AMD Athlon XP 2800+

Not to sure if this has anything to do with linux but hear go's.

im not the best at overclocking but have doon it before, but this time i am having some trouble overclocking my cpu with my new board. hear is my box spec:

suse 9.1 kernel 2.6 kde 3.2
    amd athlon xp 2800+ cpu (running at 2.09)
    motherboard is a N2PAP-Ultra (i think jetway makes it but not sure)
    768 mb ddr ram (3 x 256) @ 333mhz
    i think this should be all info you need to overclock a chip.

has anybody ever doon an overclock with this board and chip and how much can i over clock this chip?
    can anybody help?

thanks in advance.

xlilo.
    Linux people are good people

Homebuilt Computer:
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    200GB SATA Hard Drive (80GB & 120GB)
    Nvidia G-Force FX 5200 dual moniter
    Nvidia N-Force 2 chipset mb
    768 MB DDR Ram
    DVD-RW 16x
    CD-RW 54x
    CD-Rom
    With suse 9.2 Pro

Omnibook 900 laptop with XP Pro and Suse 9.2 Pro

Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

I don't know so much about it myself but some boards won't be able to support overclocking at all. In other cases you may need to flash it which can be rather deadly also. In a fair amount of cases you can't OC it very high either without it POST'ing at you so you might want to look out for that. Did you try OC'ing it at all? And by what means (FSB, Clock Multiplier)? All these things can make a difference apparently from how it's done but that forum will know a lot more about it than I do.
    The Swain

dswain

look in the bios for overclocker settings. also slowly adjust your voltages. keep your hand on the plug though. watch for anything unusual
    -------------------------------------
    blobaugh
    lobaugh.net

All you ever need to know about Samba at O'Reillys (Online book)
    DSL Linux in your pocket.
    Need help choosing a distro? Distro Chooser
    My Screenies
    Table of Windows equivalent software on Linux
    Linux Games from Windows

Well, the Barton chips themselves are very overclockable. Most people who try (like me) can get any of them up to at least 3200 without going too far out of their way. However, I would be concerned about your 333 RAM. Depending on when your 2800 was made you may not be able to change the multiplier (at least without modding it). I'm not sure if they did that with the 2800's, but I know my 2500 is multiplier-locked, which is just fine because I just pushed the FSB higher, but I have 400 Mhz RAM, so you may have more trouble with instability due to RAM issues than with your processor itself.

That said, I agree with the previous posters that a forum devoted to OC'ing is your best bet. The only reason I know anything about it is that I wrote a research paper in high school about it because it sounded cool (and is, saved me over $100 on my processor, assuming I don't fry it). So I'm not exactly an expert on the subject.

Also, I had no real significant heat issues anywhere between 2500 and 3200 with mine (gradually stepping it up, of course), but recently after a LAN party my temps jumped up a bit. I have a tube of Arctic Silver (to replace the cheap AMD stuff that I think is the most likely culprit), another case fan, and a couple of round IDE cables to help my cooling on the way, but my point is that this is quite a few months after I had it running nicely at 3200 and just now I'm noticing some possible side-effects so if you do oc you'll probably want to watch your system a little closer than you might otherwise.

Just my 2 cents (and change).

thanks guys,

you have helped me alot, i have learnt a few usefull things.

what signs should i look out for to make sure my cpu wont fry? i have been toled that the chip can fry within 5 seconds without a heatsink and fan.
    i have a full copper flower heatsink made by thermaltake with a fan mounted on the case and above the heatsink. with the heatsink being copper (also useing the arctic silver) and with a fast fan woud this mean i can oc it even more? but mainly what other hardware can be damaged or fryed by overclocking?

thanks.

xlilo.
    Last edited by xlilo; 12-08-2004 at 02:27 AM.

Homebuilt Computer:
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    768 MB DDR Ram
    DVD-RW 16x
    CD-RW 54x
    CD-Rom
    With suse 9.2 Pro

yes your processor can burn up within seconds. thats one of the reason i say keep your hand over the plug. most bios nowadays have a temparature inidicator in them somewhere. i suggest before you do anything that you load up that part of the bios and let it sit for a while while you watch the temparature.
    -------------------------------------
    blobaugh
    lobaugh.net

All you ever need to know about Samba at O'Reillys (Online book)
    DSL Linux in your pocket.
    Need help choosing a distro? Distro Chooser
    My Screenies
    Table of Windows equivalent software on Linux
    Linux Games from Windows

hey guys.

i just overclocked my cpu to 3000+ and it is know running at 2.17. the temp is 47 c. should i risk overclocking it more?

my ram is 333mhz i think this ram will only take 3000+ cpu.

Homebuilt Computer:
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    768 MB DDR Ram
    DVD-RW 16x
    CD-RW 54x
    CD-Rom
    With suse 9.2 Pro

If your board is new enough and you have some type of heat control system active (should be settings in the BIOS) then you should have no worries at OC'ing it some more. I have mine @ 3000+ level and I think it's around 50c and that's fine for me so I'd suspect you can do some more.
    The Swain

dswain

Originally posted by xlilo
    hey guys.

i just overclocked my cpu to 3000+ and it is know running at 2.17. the temp is 47 c. should i risk overclocking it more?

my ram is 333mhz i think this ram will only take 3000+ cpu.
    RAM can be overclocked as well
    Temp 47C is very fine - my laptop often runs at 75C (yes yes, I know, big stuff) and I've never had problems with it 'xcept for fear
    ocforums.com should be able to help you very much, and I have 2 great links about RAM which I'm going to give you as soon as I'm back in Gentoo (in a lfs livecd now).
    Sam
    I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
    OpenBox 3 | FVWM Crystal | FreeBSD | Linux Apps | Bash scripting | Perl | Python | My Site

thanks, i dident know that i could overclock ram.

after i had over clocked my cpu my system started to crash alot and the temp moved up to 57 c at max, but after i moved my cpu back to 2800 it stoped crashing, is there a way i can stop this or is it my operating system?

Homebuilt Computer:
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    768 MB DDR Ram
    DVD-RW 16x
    CD-RW 54x
    CD-Rom
    With suse 9.2 Pro

It has nothing to do with your operating system, it is simply the reslut of running your system out of spec.

There are a lot of articles on overclocking, that you can find on the web. Do a search, and youll have more info than you know what to do with.

In order to stabilize the O/C you will have to give more Vcore, which can be found in your BIOS.

You have to keep a keen eye on your Temps, as we all know,

HEAT KILLS
    PenguinSamurai-->
    Athy 2600-M Barton @ 2.6
    Radeon 9800 128@ 450/402
    Mushkin PC 3200
    WD 80 GB 7200 RPM 8Mb
    Dual boot- WinXP Home/ Ubuntu 6.06

Originally posted by xlilo
    thanks, i dident know that i could overclock ram.

after i had over clocked my cpu my system started to crash alot and the temp moved up to 57 c at max, but after i moved my cpu back to 2800 it stoped crashing, is there a way i can stop this or is it my operating system?
    After you overclocked it to 3000? How did you do that, FSB or multiplier? That would be pretty bad if it can't handle the 60 Mhz (IIRC) difference between 2800 and 3000, especially for a Barton. On the stability front I think I might look at the RAM if I were you, at least if you have the FSB set at higher than 333. Some RAM overclocks well and some doesn't. However, that doesn't explain the 57C temps on your CPU, so maybe you did just get unlucky with the processor.

Incidentally, I personally won't mess with my VCore (although I never had any stability problems so there was no need). In general, if you're overclocking and leave the VCore alone making gradual increases the worst that happens is that as you're watching your temps the processor ends up running hotter than you want and you have to lower the speed again. Wtih the VCore (I think) you can really fry it in a hurry if you bump it up too much. I could be wrong about that, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the way most people fry processors overclocking is by messing with the VCore. At the very least do some major reading about it before you try.

Of course, that could all be wrong. If so I'm sure someone will correct me.

I tried overclocking my XP 3000+ when I built my new computer as it had an option to increase the speed of the "CPU Host/AGP/PCI" clock in the BIOS, everything seemed fine when I did it. It wan't until I starting re-encoding videos with mencoder that I had problems it kept seg faulting ramdomly sometimes after 10 mins other time after 2 hours which I initially put down to a bug in mencoder, it took my a while before I tried turning the overclocking off which solved that problem. Since then I discovered mprime which can be used for doing a very thorough test of your CPU to see if it is working properly and sure enough with even increasing my "CPU Host/AGP/PCI" clock from 166/66/33 to 170/68/34, mprime errors on startup. The point I'm trying to make is, even if your system seems stable after you've overclocked it, it may not be, so do a thorough test to make sure.

If stablility is a problem you indeed have to up the Vcore (cpu voltage). Some links here:
    (Memory FAQ)
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=320351
    (Cooling Guide)
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=154105
    (CPU Burn-in Description)
    http://people.freenet.de/s.urfer/conditioning.htm
    (Overclocking Forums)
    http://www.ocforums.com
    Have a look at all the stickies in the last one - they're extremely helpful.
    Sam
    I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
    OpenBox 3 | FVWM Crystal | FreeBSD | Linux Apps | Bash scripting | Perl | Python | My Site